jalapeno snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
N.B. Canada
been wanting to do a batch of sticks ... butt no time off and this dern winter weather has held me off .

I followed Rytek's slim jim recipe pretty much to a T except the addition of some finely minced jalapenos , added 7 peppers to this 15 # batch and I used 12 # beef along with 3 # pork for some added flavor, also added 4 C water to mix the spices and ensure proper distribution of the cure .

The pics show the meat ground once thru a 1/8 th plate , the minced pepper and pre-mixed spices ...notice my hi-tek mixer in the second photo
biggrin.gif
... the last pic is 1 hr into the smoke...

my little MES is awful crowed , not sure how they will turn out ...we'll see
rolleyes.gif

b6224f3b_vbattach20813.jpg

2a95953e_vbattach20814.jpg

9e7639ad_vbattach20816.jpg

a428f253_vbattach20817.jpg

Looks great, Tim. That really is a smoker full.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Tim, have my new grinder and stuffer coming in the mail this week. Just bough Rytek's book too. Never done it before but looking at your pics makes me want to start today! And that stuffer...man, is that a 25# capacity? Makes my 5# look like, well, small...

Dadwith4daughters ... that stuffer is the Cabelas 30 # unit .... awesome for large batches ... but I'm gonna need a 5 lber for doing the smaller batches
wink.gif
... ah well an excuse for another toy
biggrin.gif
... makin sausage is like smokin meat ..it's addicting
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Tim - the MES is full but it looks great!! Thanks for sharing pics of your slim jim process. I've always wondered how those were made. I'm anxious to hear how much heat the japs added!

here's a few update pics ....6 hrs at 105 * to 110* with hickory smoke ... sausage in smoker , temp gauge mod to the side and mid rack of the MES , and me playin with the chip loader to keep the chunks and chips smoking without too much heat
wink.gif

I used 22mm casings , looks like it's still gonna be awhile
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

1e28eaf0_vbattach20819.jpg

4fdc2ed7_vbattach20820.jpg

d75d0d12_vbattach20821.jpg

Those are looking great Tim.
Getting to the level of making my own sausages, a beautiful smoker, doing the things that so many of you guys do with smoke and meat, it is such a beautiful art that I hope to one day master.

Those look very tasty Tim. I love making sticks. Gotta freezer full now but keep on making more. It is addicting!

T-bone Tim
The sticks are looking great and I am interested in hearing your final outcome. I have never smoked my sticks in either of MES 's, I have always used my large vertical upright. Interested in what you think of a MES for smoking sticks.
P.S.
Same as you I am also thinking about a 5 lb. stuffer for smaller batches.

okay they finally finished up after 15 hrs in the little MES ... smoked with hickory at 110* for the first 8 hrs as per Rytek's recipe ... then bumped the heat to 130 for 3 hrs , then up to 170 for the last 4 , finally pulling them at 150*.

Mossymo.

Doing a 15 # batch in the 30" MES is a challenge due to height restriction for hangin ... 5 to 10 lb batches and 19mm casings would be better , but they turned out good and look okay , but I am dissapointed in the japs , not enough flavor or bite , peppers prolly weren't great , all we get here seems to be tasteless ,maybe throw the seeds in next time ... I also would up the pepper in the recipe as well as add some cayenne ... all in all a good first run here's a finished shot.
740576f5_vbattach20829.jpg

Tim those look fantastic thanks for sharing the info and Qview

t-bone"s posts have inspired me through the last 2 years I been here-sure have used alot of his learning to make my Q better.

Ok you're not getting off that easy
biggrin.gif

I also followed Rytek's recipe but i had to make some adjustments since i refuse to pay the exhorbatent prices for fermento. Still trying to figure out what that dang stuff actually is!

Like you i figured a spicy version was most certainly in order and i actually almost tried using diced japs like you did. However since it was my first attempt i opted to stay generic. I had the same issues with space in my MES as you did. I was trying to keep them long for conveniance but still in 6inch increments and wound up with them dragging on the floor of the smoker.

Soooo, did you do fermento or try encapsullated citric acid? Did yours snap? Did they have that nice tang to them?

Somewhere on here is a thread with some of my thoughts on my own batch. From what i remember though they didn't really come out like i expected.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky