jalapeno ratio for summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tmon41

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
duluth,mn. area
I need some info on a ratio for jalapeno's in summer sausage. I have seen in other posts the ratio for cheese at 10 percent is it about the same for jalapeno's?

I think it depends on how hot you want it. Everyone has different tastes. I would try what you think is the right amount for you and do a small batch. Then make adjustments.

Depends on your taste and the heat level of the peppers.
10% would be a lot for most folks.
I would start with a 1/4 cup per pound of sausage.

I remove the seeds from mine and use 1 pepper for each pound of meat

I leave some of the vane in and get perfect amount of heat and wonderful flavor.

if the peppers happen to be really large or smaller than average I adjust accordingly

Ditto

All depends on how you like the heat. I found that for 10 lbs 1/4 to 1/2 cup is good and if ya want a little kicker add 1.5 Tbs jalapeno powder.

Thanks for the info i ended up going with 1 pound of seeded jalapeno's for a 25 pound batch, and that seemed to work good. it had a little heat,but not too hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky