Jalapeno EQ recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesir

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Greenwood, IN
Anyone have a decent Jalapeno bacon EQ recipe? I attempted a batch with 5% blended fresh Jalapeno and didn't get hardly any flavor out of it, I skipped dusting it at the end because the cure looked like a green sludge and I figured it wasn't needed.

The recipe I used:
2% salt
2% sugar
4% black fine ground black pepper
5% fresh blended jalapeno
0.25% cure

I'm wondering if using a needle tenderizer on it would let the flavor penetrate more than the skin or if I need to just add the flavor to the bag after slicing it and let it soak in. Thanks

I would add it after the cure when forming the pelicle. I do that with maple sugar.

That makes sense, so you thinking I should rinse the meat off and glaze it on top and let it dry there? Guess I could try dehydrating some and grinding it up as well but the other thread I found about jalapeno bacon said the powdered stuff wasn't as strong, but maybe that's only for store bought and not home made.

Thats something you will have toplay with. I know people cant get maple flavor. I cure with maple sugar then dust it after the cure. Something to try maybe.

How about adding one of these? As an Injection, in the Brine and/or at the end before forming the Pellicle...JJ

I get the maple flavor by brushing maple syrup on the bacon strips when I bake it in the oven,...

1594434399485.jpeg

I let the bacon get just about done then brush it on.... I usually let it dry out and form a 'maple sugar' crust... then I can snack on it all day....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky