Jalapeno Cheddar Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

05sprcrw

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Rural NE
Well still pretty new here even though I have been reading for about a year, just recently decided to start posting and contributing.

Anyway here is a summer sausage recipe that I have been using with good success.

Jalapeno cheddar summer sausage

5 lb Ground Venison
1 lb Ground Beef
2 cup Water
3 Tbsp Morton tender Quick

1 tsp Non Iodized Salt
4 Tbsp Dry Milk
3 Tbsp Course Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 1/2tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 cup Jalapeño Pepper's Freshly Chopped
2 cup High Temp Cheddar Cheese
(2 to 3) 2 1/2" X 20" Fibrous Casings or (1) 4” x 20” Fibrous casing
Liquid smoke ( optional)

Soak casings 15-30 min in warm water

Mix all together and stuff into casings.

Let cure 48 hours

Smoke at 225° until internal temp hits 160°

Immediately put into ice water until internal temp comes down to 80°

Let “bloom” for a couple hours after ice water bath.

Package to freeze or enjoy fresh.

Im so going to make those. Thanks for the recipee. I have a question though for anyone who knows, could I use cure#1 instead of the tender quick? letting it sit those 2 days in the fridge and then smoke?

I have not tried cure #1 but I am assuming you would still be ok. Your curing it, and cooking it I don't think it should be an issue.

Looks great....................
icon14.gif

Joe

Im so going to make those. Thanks for the recipee. I have a question though for anyone who knows, could I use cure#1 instead of the tender quick? letting it sit those 2 days in the fridge and then smoke?
Mike, morning.... Cure# 1 is designed for short term refer temps when it comes to curing...  You will have to adjust the salt content of the sausage compared to using Morton's.... Morton's is very salty.... 

For comminuted products, (ground products etc.), 156 Ppm is maximum allowable...  Less is acceptable, if you choose to do so, say down to 100-120 Ppm... since you are in control of sanitation and additives to the sausage.. If you have a grams scale, use it... it is more accurate than volume measuring....    

Martin's calculator is easy to use...   Dave

http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Susan Minor's table below......

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

Use as follows: Cure# 1      [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Cure per pound of ground meat/fat:[/color]

Amount of Meat/FatAmount of Cure
Vol.Wt.
1 lb.1/4 tsp..05 oz.
2 lbs.3/8 tsp..08 oz.
3 lbs.1/2 tsp..10 oz.
4 lbs.3/4 tsp..15 oz.
5 lbs.1 tsp..20 oz.
10 lbs.2 tsp..40 oz.
15 lbs.1 Tbsp..60 oz.
20 lbs.1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp..80 oz.
25 lbs.1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.1.00 oz.
50 lbs.3 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.2.00 oz.
100 lbs.6 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.4.00 oz.
tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon;
oz.= ounce

Although cure #1 has salt in the mix, when using it in sausage making additional salt needs to be added.

Great looking product thanks for sharing the recipe.  Switching out cure #1 for the tender quick shoud not be a problem as long as you add back some additional salt to make up for what you are losing.

Mike, morning.... Cure# 1 is designed for short term refer temps when it comes to curing...  You will have to adjust the salt content of the sausage compared to using Morton's.... Morton's is very salty.... 

For comminuted products, (ground products etc.), 156 Ppm is maximum allowable...  Less is acceptable, if you choose to do so, say down to 100-120 Ppm... since you are in control of sanitation and additives to the sausage.. If you have a grams scale, use it... it is more accurate than volume measuring....    

Martin's calculator is easy to use...   Dave

http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Susan Minor's table below......

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

Use as follows: Cure# 1      [color= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Cure per pound of ground meat/fat:[/color]

Amount of Meat/FatAmount of Cure
Vol.Wt.
1 lb.1/4 tsp..05 oz.
2 lbs.3/8 tsp..08 oz.
3 lbs.1/2 tsp..10 oz.
4 lbs.3/4 tsp..15 oz.
5 lbs.1 tsp..20 oz.
10 lbs.2 tsp..40 oz.
15 lbs.1 Tbsp..60 oz.
20 lbs.1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp..80 oz.
25 lbs.1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.1.00 oz.
50 lbs.3 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.2.00 oz.
100 lbs.6 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.4.00 oz.
tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon;
oz.= ounce

Although cure #1 has salt in the mix, when using it in sausage making additional salt needs to be added.
That is some great info, I am fairly new to sausage making will definitely be referring back to that on occasion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky