Jalapeno Bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scredx3

Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
OH
I've had some jalapeno bratwurst on the smoker at 225 for about 1.5 hours now. I'm hoping for a total cook time of around 2.5 hours. I'll take some pictures when I pull them out. This temp/time combination usually works out well for me with this type of sausage.

I hit the 2.5 hour mark and they aren't quite ready. I'm leaving the temp alone and I'm just going to give them a little more time. I'll check them after another 20 minutes or so.

Fresh. I get them from a butcher shop here in my home town. The owners of the butcher shop are 4 brothers I grew up with. I usually stop in after work to shoot the breeze or pick up a few things and they hook me up with their latest concoctions. I have a freezer full of "Italian", "Hot Italian", and Bratwurst that were part of a Pork Bundle I bought from them a few weeks ago. I actually stopped in to get a peanut butter pie for my wife and they just tossed the jalapeno brats in the bag with a "hey try these and let us know if they are too hot". I guess you could say that I am the guinea pig before they decide to offer it to the public or not.

SCREDX3-it's always nice when friends hook you up. I make my own brats and the last several times my youngest son (my helper-crank turner on the stuffer-link maker) makes sure that we do a 5 lb batch of brats with habeneros, we added 5 habs to the last batch and he said that we need to "add a couple more" on the next batch as he thought they needed more heat.

Looks great,  very nice
drool.gif

Thanks! I've been big into grilling for a long time, but I just started smoking 4 weeks ago. I've tried to smoke everything I can get my hands on. I have little boys who love hot dogs / sausages. We tend to eat sausages a couple times a week so I will probably run a lot of them thru the smoker as time goes on.  I think the results are well worth the wait. These were way too hot for them, but I thought they were great. I have a coworker who is a meat lover too so I brought him one today. He was a fan as well. I will call this smoke, a success!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky