JAFNG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skorepeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Hello from Phoenix, AZ

Been grillin and smokin with a chargrille. Just got a SFB because everyone I know keeps marveling about how good my BBQ is so now I am getting more serious about it. I never realized how modern tech has changed the BBQ. I have always done stuff "Old School" analog thermometers and offset smokers. Now you can get a almost automatic smokin device and not have to baby sit your grill every half hour to get it done right. So I guess I have a lot to catch up with if I am going to get serious about this.

Welcome to the SMF family!  Glad you've joined us.  Looking forward to your input around here...and to seeing some of your Qview! (pics of your food, your cooks, your gear, etc.)

Happy smoking!

Red

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Hi Skorepeo. welcome to this great forum. I'm pretty new to this so don't know much about the old school ways. I am sure if I were a pureist I would love the hands on stuff. But, I'm just a guy that loves smoked meat, so I can say that I really enjoy throwing a butt in my digital electric before hitting the sack and waking up to nearly done pulled pork or that smoked chuck I started late this morning, went off to do some chores and came back to an almost finished wonderful dinner. I know you are going to love this site. I doubt you will ever face a problem that hasn't been experienced and solved by a SMF member...and we all want to help you.
Roy

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Gary[/h3]

Hi Skorepeo. welcome to this great forum. I'm pretty new to this so don't know much about the old school ways. I am sure if I were a pureist I would love the hands on stuff. But, I'm just a guy that loves smoked meat, so I can say that I really enjoy throwing a butt in my digital electric before hitting the sack and waking up to nearly done pulled pork or that smoked chuck I started late this morning, went off to do some chores and came back to an almost finished wonderful dinner. I know you are going to love this site. I doubt you will ever face a problem that hasn't been experienced and solved by a SMF member...and we all want to help you.
Roy

Old school means sitting out with your friends drinking beer and flipping quarters to see who has to get up and throw another log on the fire. No electronic Crap to tell us when the meat is done just experience and sight and smell. Smoking was and is an Art of you want immediate gratification go to the restaurant where they sell their Art and enjoy. ;)

Old school means sitting out with your friends drinking beer and flipping quarters to see who has to get up and throw another log on the fire. No electronic Crap to tell us when the meat is done just experience and sight and smell. Smoking was and is an Art of you want immediate gratification go to the restaurant where they sell their Art and enjoy. ;)

Ouch, sorry if I struck a nerve. Sure didn't mean to insinuate that there is anything wrong with old school, but I'd rather drink that beer with friends while watching the game, not stoking the smoker, then, enjoy a great meal with those friends that is much better than I'll get in most restauants. Happy smoking.

Last edited:
That's why there is Vanilla and Chocolate ?     Me I'm an Old School Guy, but nothing wrong with technology, posting on it right now, and who would have ever thought that a mobile phone would be able to take pictures, send messages and search the internet,

Gary

That's why there is Vanilla and Chocolate ?     Me I'm an Old School Guy, but nothing wrong with technology, posting on it right now, and who would have ever thought that a mobile phone would be able to take pictures, send messages and search the internet,
Gary
Couldn't agree more. I'm old school about some things , but I like technology when it makes my life easy. I remember my grandma cooking on a cast iron wood stove at the summer house up in New Hampshire when I was a kid and I get real nostalgic thinking how great it smelled and felt and all , but I wouldn't want to have to do that for more than a weekend! And people who cook everything in the micro must think we are like cavemen! Talk about old school !

I agree, funny thing about 15 years ago when digital cameras were just getting popular (I was always a film guy) I said "anyone who is serious about photography will never switch from film"  I have a closet full of film cameras, only shoot digital now. I'll drag one of my old 128 Roliflex and shoot a roll just for fun. But pretty much all digital.

Gary

[q. uote name="Chuckles" url="/t/158941/jafng#post_1146836"]
Ouch, sorry if I struck a nerve. Sure didn't mean to insinuate that there is anything wrong with old school, but I'd rather drink that beer with friends while watching the game, not stoking the smoker, then, enjoy a great meal with those friends that is much better than I'll get in most restauants. Happy smoking.[/quote]

LOL NO you didn't strike a nerve that's the thing about writing on here you could not see the grin on my face as I was writing that.It is that sometimes people want immediate gratification without the time and effort it takes to make something good.I am sitting inside with my new thermometer that beeps and will tell me when to go throw a log on. My wife says welcome to the 21st century Lol. I am still nervous about trusting this thing. I keep getting up and looking out the window just to see if it is still smoking.

Hello from Phoenix, AZ

Been grillin and smokin with a chargrille. Just got a SFB because everyone I know keeps marveling about how good my BBQ is so now I am getting more serious about it. I never realized how modern tech has changed the BBQ. I have always done stuff "Old School" analog thermometers and offset smokers. Now you can get a almost automatic smokin device and not have to baby sit your grill every half hour to get it done right. So I guess I have a lot to catch up with if I am going to get serious about this.
Hello there Skorepeo - from a fellow Phoenician. I am new here also....and to tell you the truth...I have been on this web site for hours at a time.... and still have not hit all the information that seems to be available. Just getting back into smoking now that I have a little extra time (retired).  Good luck on working that Digital Wireless Thermometer - I got one that I'm trying to get used to also !!!!   
241.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky