Jackass Bar B Q??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay1340

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Timbuctu, Mali
143bcad7_AliensmokerBostonButt.jpg
50b866a8_Aliensmokerpork.jpg
91d05fcd_Rustpit.jpg
d8945998_Baffle.jpg
b300bd88_Fireboxwithbaffle.jpg
a0589164_Firegrate.jpg
96594204_Ribracks.jpg
3117a679_RestoredNewBraunfels.jpg
c732c1e2_AlienSmoker.jpg

Well this is all out of order. Oh well.

Since I've been snooping & pooping around on here & will probably be stealing some recipes I thought I better hit this rollcall. I retired from the army back in Feb. I wouldn't buy/build a smoker while in the army because cleaning a simple grill for shipping to a new place every 24-38 months is a nightmare. I always just bought a new one & gave the old one to someone else when I left.

I spent some time with my mom & stepdad before I decided for sure what I was going to do. I seen some contraptions on the web & threw this Alien Smoker together, tack welded a sheetmetal bottom on it, cut a draft hole, added a baffle, moved the grate & water pan around & was able to do some ribs & Boston Butts. But I had to babysit that thing like a newborn infant, even after I wrapped an Army wool blanket around it in Alabama in the middle of July & august!

I finally decided to as Davey Crockett said "Y'all my go to Hell & I'll go to Texas! I got here, found a Rust Pit on clist & threw it in the truck for $60! All four legs a different length, full of leaves, fire grate gone, etc... Went to a longtime friend's house, raided his steel pile, used his welder, grinder, drunk his beer, had a good time & ended up with a rebuilt ready to smoke New Braunfels! We removed the frame, made a new one, put a handle on the smoke end just in case it needs to move while cooking so it's not so hot. Relocated the wheels to under the middle instead of the cooking chamber end, used the old bottom shelf for a cooking grate support, added a baffle, expanded metal in the fire box with a 1/2" flat strap support under that!

I've done 2 spares on it. Then did a 16 hr Boston Butt & threw some bacon wrapped chicken boobs on for the last 3 hrs. My Ole Lady of 13 yrs is a Native Texan, been to all the big que places, gave me approval & wants MORE! Her Brother runs a catering & couldn't keep his paws out of the pulled pork, ribs & chicken the whole weekend.

Sure this is probably long for a intro. OH, & not to foget there's a pic of the shop & smoking supervisor, she just kind of sits aorund, grunts, doesn't do much, but sure loves the scraps!!

Forgot to add, I picked up those Turkey Racks at the Settlement home sale in Austin for $1 EA! Seen them, turned em over and thought Heavy Duty Rib Racks! They didn't have a price on them. I asked the lady "how much for these"?

"Those Turkey Racks"?

I turned em upside down "Rib Racks".

"My husband is going to kill me because I didn't think of that & grab them. How's $1"?

"Both or Each"?

"Each". And I got the look.

Of course I paid it! Can't blame a guy for trying!

Also picked up three heavy baking pans for dripping, water pans. I got to put some u bent all thread handles on em before I can use em though.

Welcome to the SMF Family...First off, Thank You for your Service to this Great Country!...Great job on the Resto' and your PP...JJ

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

Welcome Jay1340. THANK YOU for your service.

Great story and photos.  As you can already see, lots of friendly people, with a wealth of knowledge, and experience from across the globe.  Take advantage of all of it, and ENJOY!

Keep sending the photos, we love em'. 
points.gif

icon_cool.gif

I really don't think that your smoker is suppose to work like that. But that's just my opinion.

Great idea onthe Rib Racks. Also your helper looks like wondering how I can get this thing to work I tired of waiting. HA HA

Welcome and thanks for your service to our country.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky