I've got crabs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bb53chevpro

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2007
We have had holes in our front lawn ever since we moved into this house almost 5 years ago. We had always assumed that there were voles or moles living in them. Well, this is not the case. Just about an hour ago I finally saw something in the hole. As soon as it saw me, it vanished. Went back out about 20 minutes later, and saw it again. Still not knowing what it was before it took off again. This time, I was to take the camera out to see if I can snap a picture. Low and behold, it is a crab. I have no idea what it is doing in this climate. Has anyone ever encountered or seen this type of crab before? How do I get rid of it? I have 3 holes in the lawn all dif sizes. this picture was taken in the smallest hole.

Any help would be great, thnx.

Crayfish! Make good bait!
wink.gif

Can't tell fer sure there andy, but looks like yall got an infestation a crawdads, mudbugs, crawfish er whatever yall wanna call em! Start catchin em, get a big pot a boilin water goin with a fair amount a seafood seasonin, toss em in till they turn nice an red. Now, pop them tails off an suck out the goodies! Expensive eatin in some places an yall got a yard full of em! Good eatin buddy!

GOOD LORD!
You're in Canada.
Do you also have water in your basement?
That's strange.
I'd call the DNR (in the US Departement of Natural Resources) Canadian equivalent or a local college and discuss.

What in tarnation is that stuff?

I don't have any old Canadian fishing/hunting licenses handy, but you know what I mean.

Also - talk to a local plant seller/ nursery. They should be able to help too.

Wow, that's just freaky.

Hope this in some way helps.
V

Yeah andy, they build up ther mud mounds all over my yard. There real good at dullin the lawn mower blade. need a good five pounds of them per person.

Wow Andy, I guess I didn't know crawdads roamed that far north.
cool.gif

Hope you do catch enough for a good boil. :)

Have you considered pouring some good old Louisiana Hot sauce on 'em?

Maybe Refugees from Katrina, moved up nawth and stayed?
Look a bit like hermit crabs to me!

Hmm, something about CRABGRASS comes to mind.

But the other are right.
Crawdads are mighty good eatin'!

Karie,
Made em into gumbo, maybe Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, Put some File powder near 'em!

P.S. Some pics of Land Hermit Crabs. Kept as pets all over the world.
Might've been one that got away or was released by someone.
Here's some pics:
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/happyhermit.html

Hermits "adopt" other shells. Could find them in a lot of different types of shells. Or even non-shells in a pinch.
I've caught a few, but then I live in Florida at the time!

I would have to see the whole critter before I said crawdad. Lucky you! Improve the habitat and start raising them! Actually I don't know if the frontyard type would be good eating or not. I have seen them in heavy clay soil feilds before myself and wondered if they would be any good to eat.

The local Chinese all you can eat does them up the best that I ever had. I don't know the formula but they are kind of like the regular Cajun style but with ginger and maybe brown sugar or something else sweet added to the mix. Not so hot that they are uneatable but very good!

Your in Windsor? That is unbelievable, how can they live through the winter? My guess is your going to have to get someone in to kill them.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

That is what I call a very bad case of crab grass
biggrin.gif

with those rascals it's not a matter of climate, it's the water table that supports them.
they can live most anywhere that has water.

mark

I saw this movie once, they look like space crabs,, the same type that crashed in Roswell, NM, after they get done scopin ya out..you will get probed. then turned loose to tell storys on death ears.. keep corks handy..

10,000 years ago when I was a kid we had a "spit pond" down the road that had "KING CRAYFISH" those dang things were 6-8 inches long.
I guess we should have eaten them rather than taping firecrackers to em.

The things kids do. ?

They generally come out at night. You can set a mousetrap with a little hamburger on it right outside the holes keep setting the traps until there gone. did it as a kid for bait

Maybe a little tiny live trap!

I would catch a mess of them and keep them in a live well for a day or so to kind of clean em out and have a snack!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky