It's Wild Hog Sausage Day!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
With the cold weather coming this weekend, and all the feed gone from the duck ponds, I decided to stay home from duck hunting and make sausage. I pulled out 48# of wild hog meat to thaw overnight. This batch will all be smoked sausages. I have another 40# or so that will be made into fresh sausages.

Pics. as I go....see you tomorrow morning.

You're obviously not a deer hunter, as I've put off sausage making until next weekend due to the cold weather and the rut. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

You're obviously not a deer hunter, as I've put off sausage making until next weekend due to the cold weather and the rut. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
I kill deer during the duck split. I hunt for meat-not horns. I have 3 does in the freezer right now that will be processed in the near future.

With the cold weather coming this weekend, and all the feed gone from the duck ponds, I decided to stay home from duck hunting and make sausage. I pulled out 48# of wild hog meat to thaw overnight. This batch will all be smoked sausages. I have another 40# or so that will be made into fresh sausages.

Pics. as I go....see you tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to see what you make.
I always take the IT of my wild pork sausages to 165F to ensure all parasites are good and killed. Cook safely and enjoy the food! :)

Can't wait to see what you make.
I always take the IT of my wild pork sausages to 165F to ensure all parasites are good and killed. Cook safely and enjoy the food! :)
As per the USDA rules, I froze the pork below 9* for over 30 days, which kills the parasites. I wear rubber gloves while cleaning/quartering the animals and have never had a problem. I use cure and go to 154* INT for at least 12 minutes, also per USDA rules.

Last edited:
As per the USDA rules, I froze the pork below -9* for over 30 days, which kills the parasites. I wear rubber gloves while cleaning/quartering the animals and have never had a problem. I use cure and go to 154* INT for at least 12 minutes, also per USDA rules.

Sounds like you got it covered! I can't wait to see the finish product :)

Anyone use hog casing from Quality Casing Co. out of Cincinnati, Ohio? My normal local supplier was out so he referred me to another local meat market. Quality Casing is what they use. I bought 1 package which is enough to do 100# of sausage. After opening the package, man this stuff looks great! Long uniform casings. I received 12 links of casing on a round yellow ring. 12 casings fill up about 1 quart in volume; no idea how long they are, must be the entire small intestine.

Pic. of the package. Kinda hard to see though.
file.php

The casing soaking in water...
file.php

I really like long casings-Less waste!
I plan on making loops of sausage 24~30" long. I can fit more # of meat on each pole this way and hope to only need the top rack to get a uniform smoke temp.. We'll see how it goes.

One more tip:
Wal-mart sells a 3 or 4 pack of poly pro knit liner gloves for about $2.00. Wear a pair of those under your latex gloves when you are mixing the cold meat. You will thank me.:)

Reactions: bertman
OK, meat finally thawed enough for me to break up the frozen chunks.
file.php

Thats 3# of boston butt fat caps on top. Waiting on the rest of the fat caps to thaw a little more so I can break it up, then it's go time!

First coarse grind complete, now to let the meat chill before mixing the seasoning and second grind. Great thing that it is 34* outside right now. Perfect. Won't have to move stuff out of the freezer to chill the meat.:D

Second grind complete with 6mm plate. Looks like I won't need the liner gloves after all, this 60# batch is too big to mix in a tote, will have to break out the crawfish paddle and the 65 qt. ice chest.
Meat back out side to chill while I take a break and eat supper, hopping john field peas made with home made andouille.

Last link finished.
file.php

Don't make fun of my pink cutting board... It's 1" thick HDPE 42"X25". Got it free from a buddy as scrap from the shop. One hell of a cutting board!

First time trying the loops instead of links. No string needed, just tie the ends together in a square knot. I think this will work great to get more pounds of sausage per rod in the smoker.

Links are in totes in the cooler, plan on smoking them Early sunday morning. See you guys then for Q-view loading and smoking.

Last edited:
Aww yeah, game on! I like the tying tip, I used string the last time I made loops but I'm a fan of skipping steps.

Just remember to leave the tag ends of the casing at least 2" after the end knots so you can tie a square knot with the tags.
Tip: Once the square knot is tied, hold both the link knots and the tag ends and snug it down good, otherwise the knot might slip loose.

Just remember to leave the tag ends of the casing at least 2" after the end knots so you can tie a square knot with the tags.
Tip: Once the square knot is tied, hold both the link knots and the tag ends and snug it down good, otherwise the knot might slip loose.

Yeah that's always my problem, planning for the tag ends. I need to measure my casings. Practice makes perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky