It's that time of the year when...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...sweet corn is ready to be broke, at least around me it is. Got a call from a good friend who plants a couple hundred acres or so of sweet corn every year and he told me that they would be picking some today. Most of his corn goes to Canada. I couldn't go this morning, but told him I could come in the early afternoon. When I got there, most of the picking was over, but he gave me about 200 ears. Now my work was about to begin. Got them home and started shucking, got a big pot of water boiling, a couple of coolers of ice water, and got them all blanched and ready for the freezer. I was working alone so not many pictures but here is some of the corn chilling after the hot water bath.
Corn.jpg

This will last a while, but he said that his Silver Queen would be ready first of next week so I may have to go get some more :emoji_wink:. It's a lot of work, but fun work and the effort is worth it down the road.

How long do they last once you freeze them? I don’t know why but I never thought about doing this when Walmart has them for cheap at the beginning of they year.

Nice batch.
I stopped processing corn after the kids moved away. Used to do a couple meals of ear and the rest was cut.

How long do they last once you freeze them? I don’t know why but I never thought about doing this when Walmart has them for cheap at the beginning of they year.
I wouldn't waste my time trying to use out of season corn from local grocer.
Better to use local produce in season, blanch and vac pack for up to next season. Vac pack lasts a long time. Freezer bags not much

Our sweet corn won't be ready till August unless it don't rain but still have many bags in freezer from last year...just can't beat it!

Ryan

Reactions: Fueling Around
As Fueling Around Fueling Around said, local, fresh picked is always the best if it's available. The closer to harvest time that you can get it, it's at its peak flavor.
Nice batch.
I stopped processing corn after the kids moved away. Used to do a couple meals of ear and the rest was cut.
Even though our kids are grown and gone, our daughter and her family live just a couple of blocks away. I'm still cooking for them, our grands, my mother-in-law, and a couple more almost every night or at least 4 nights a week. We love being able to get together as a family.

Cool. I wouldn't worry about getting silver queen. We used to plant it, it's a bland corn. The bi color is much better
Silver Queen was never my favorite, but white corn was what my dad planted growing up so I have some sentimental feelings towards it. I prefer Ambrosia or Mirai.

Looks Great, GS !! Like.
I miss the Corn I used to get when I was inspecting towers in Jersey a lot.
Just about everybody in SE PA agrees the best Sweet Corn comes from New Jersey.
Every time I worked in Jersey in the Summer, a big bag of Sweet Corn seemed to follow me home!! Since then we get it from local Farm Stands, along the roads around here.

Bear

Looking good. I've had great results with "Incredible " strain. My should be ready 2nd week of August. first pick goes to family and neighbors. Second pick we just cut it off the ears and vac pack. I dont blanch. its great in January!

RG

Never had Ambrosia but the Mirai is way too sweet for my taste.
Grew Mirai once and threw out the rest of the seed. I prefer Supersweet SE for yellow corn.
I'm with pc farmer pc farmer , I prefer bicolor such as Honey and Pearl is a nice mix of the sweet yellow and the flavored white.
Mirai is one of those varieties that people either love or hate. Like a lot of sh2 varieties, it is extremely sweet, but doesn't have much crunch to it when boiled and not as much "corn" flavor as su or se varieties.

I grew it for a couple of years along with Ambrosia and Peaches & Cream, but I don't plant corn anymore.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky