Its SMOKIN TIME

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jasandalb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
So the smokers firing up, the meats ready and I am eager to get going...will have pics soon of my venture....

25lbs ready to smoke!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
:PDT _Armataz_01_36:

Sounds good don't forget some Qview. Happy Smokin
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I am doing 25 lbs of brisket to pull for the American Cancer Society.

So far my temps are hovering just below 225....I am having a little bit of trouble getting it to stay up but its been on for about an hour now...I am adding some charcoal to the bottom of the smoker as well as some big hickory blocks...

The first pic is just 3 of the 6 slabs I have. 4 are in the smoker and 2 are wrapped in foil in the oven.

I am trying to upload pics of everything but cant figure out how to resize the images...

I use Photobucket makes it easy

will do.........hey quick question.....I am 2 hours in and my meat has gone from room temp all the way to 112......is this going to fast or will I soon be hitting the plateu??

Sounds bout right probally won't hit plateau till 150-165
Are you gonna spritz it?

I wasnt planning on spritzing....dont have anything made up.
Okay...so once it hits about 150-160 I can expect it to hover for how long?

OHHH finally got the temps stable at 225.....figured out that I needed to let my coals burn a little longer before putting them into the pan

If you have some apple juice or something you may want to consider spritzing. I like to use 3 parts apple juice to 1 part rum but alot of things will work. I spritz bout every hour after the first couple hours and feel it helps form bark. As far as plateau not all pieces will hit it but I find most do and theres no telling how long it will last from minutes to a couple hours just be patient don't turn up the heat and know its just part of the process.

The first pic is 3 of 6 slabs....
The second is the 4 slabs in the smoker.
The next couple are my set up with the pans of charcoal ready for me to light and prepare and the bag of hickory blocks that I soaked and am letting them dry.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
:PDT_Arm ataz_01_36:
ba6c0b9b_vbattach17821.jpg

3e9fc090_vbattach17820.jpg

c4a30aba_vbattach17819.jpg

f278a7f3_vbattach17818.jpg

Everything looks great! However, I noticed in your 4th picture a bottle of lighter fluid next to the bag of wood???? I'm hoping you didn't put lighter fluid on anything that was placed inside to fuel the smoker
confused.gif

Other than that - the charcoal trays are a neat idea.
icon_wink.gif

Looks great only problem I see is your beer spilled
biggrin.gif

1.) No I didnt put lighter fluid on the wood. Just wanted it out of the way.
2.) The beer isnt spilled, its empty
icon_smile.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Well heck if that ones empty go get another and relax a bit
cool.gif

Yeah.....but at this rate I'll be drunk before everything is done!

So I just checked and the meats at 151. 3 hours in..... So far am I looking like I'm on track????

There is no on track you just can't go by time cause ever piece of meat is different. You are doing well just be prepared for the dreaded plateau and don't get frustrated by it when and if it happens. Times are only for estimates and I usually add an hour or two because I'd rather have it in the cooler an extra hour or two than have people screamin "I'm Hungry"

ITS ALL ABOUT INTERAL TEMP

jasandalb;181708 said:
Yeah.....but at this rate I'll be drunk before everything is done!

Just gotta increase tolerance pratice practice practice lol

Yeah.....so its been bouncing between 151-154 since my last post.....not frustrated, just keeping the fire going....I figure I'll see things rise within the last hour to hour and a half. So my guess will be around 8 pm tonight I should see it pick up. I am having a blast keeping this going though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky