1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

It's HOT!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smoking gun, Aug 4, 2010.

1. smoking gun

smoking gun Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

It's so hot outside I rolled the SNP out in the sun ant it's holding 150 degrees without a fire! I think i can throw 4 or 5 lumps of coal in there and a couple sticks and get to 220 in no time. lol

2. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Well I'm not in the north but I'm in south Alabama in Mobile and the heat is high for sure. They said that the heat index was about 117*. Then the fact that we are in the sun and there's hardly any wind it's pretty bad but it's something that you get used to after a short time. I have been in constuction all my life.

3. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now you can claim to run your SnP for hours and hours on 5 lumps of charcoal, like the UDS crew.... lol.

4. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

It was a cool one today, I dont think it got past 104* [​IMG]

5. Hello from the face of the Sun here in AZ its 5:30 PM, 110 degrees in the shade and my smoker is at 125 deg under my canopy no charcoal needed. And dont give that Dry Heat Crap ! It's HOT !

6. smoking gun

smoking gun Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

You guys and your dry heat....[​IMG]

Its only 99 here but with 80 % humidity!  ... [​IMG]

It was 104 when I was in Vegas........Yes, you're right, it was dry but it was still HOT !!!  [​IMG]

7. flbobecu

flbobecu Smoking Fanatic

Heat index was 110 with 65% humidity. This isn't the dry heat over by Arizona either. :(

Generally, when it's THIS hot, I will wheel out the grill a couple hours or at lunch time, before cooking, open it up and let the sun warm it up. Two hours before cooking, I'll close it, retaining the heat until I start the fire - at which time will get very hot VERY quickly. 

8. Just remember a convection oven is a dry heat also.

88 today with about 50% humidity, not too bad.

9. I just go inside where I have the AC on 70 and open an ice cold beer   [​IMG]

10. flbobecu

flbobecu Smoking Fanatic

But not a grill or bbq. [​IMG]

11. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

I really need to head to camp and sit on the tractor for 2-3 days mowing but I've been watching the temps up there Sat-100, Sun--100, Mon--99, Tue--97, Wed--97 and I keep putting it off [​IMG]

12. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I guess I can't complain. When it gets hot here I crank on the AC, the smoker is two steps out the slider on a covered porch, and I can see the temp gauge sitting on the couch. So I can fire it up, get it going, and go inside to keep cool - and still keep an eye on the smoker... lol.

13. dick foster

dick foster Smoking Fanatic

It isn't that dry in Phoenix. That place is miserable most of the time and unfit for life in the summer time. Tucson is dryer and higher so you don't feel it as much there but it is still plenty hot there. Sedona, Prescott, Payson etc. are a lot nicer. Nothing like South East Asia or the Philippines for heat though. Now that is a hell hot for heat plus humidity. I went there from central Florida and thought I had walked into a wall when I got off the plane. Dayum hot and sticky all the time. Just wetter during the monsoon season.

This is the second of the two coolest summers I can remember here in CA. It's down right chilly in the morning.   

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  14. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

40 in the morning and 80 during the day here

15. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

Sure, rub it in..........just rub it in!  [​IMG]

16. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Ill remember that when we have 4 feet of snow and its still coming down and your talking about 70's LOL

17. deltadude

deltadude Master of the Pit OTBS Member

A whopping 86º here near Sacramento, and will be in mid 80s all week.  Here is the best part, I haven't run my A/C all summer!  Normally I'm paying $200 extra to run the A/C late June through August per month.  I covered my windows that get direct sunlight and shut everything up in the house (all blinds pulled shut sort of  like a tomb), when it was 102º out side it was in the lower 80s inside, I use  2 circulating fans to keep the air moving inside.  In the evening it normally cools off here when the delta (bay area) coastal breeze blows through (so I open every screened door or window), although there was no evening coastal breeze the first 3 weeks of July.  By 6am the inside temp will be in the mid 60s so the entire house structure has dissipated most the heat.  Result, I will have saved $500-600 this summer.  We just bought a new house (new to us, starting the move prep and move process next week), and I will install a whole house fan first thing, to take advantage of our cool evenings.  The house is up to date with dual pane windows and better insulation so it will be interesting to see what and where the inside heat issues will be and how to solve them.

I'm looking forward to this move our current home the HOA doesn't allow RVs or boats period, and they can't be left over night.  The new house isn't controlled by HOA rules, and has RV/Boat parking inside the yard.  So I will be looking for a boat to get back into fishing again.  The next door neighbor has a bass boat, I sure hope he is the friendly type, and likes ribs / brisket / pulled pork, because I'm going to try and make me a fishing buddy friend.

BTW I really feel for you all where it is HOT and Humid,  I have worked in Tenn, and my wife's family is in Orlando, the humidity can be so overwhelmingly oppressive.

18. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Typical Texas summer weather here in the 100° to 110° range with 30% humidity.  I'd much rather have it this warm than 90°'s and 80% humidity!  Had that all spring and it was muggy and crappy!  Mowed the lawns Sunday while the polish sausage smoked and it was 109° and dry and was much more comfortable than two weekends before when it was 97° and humid.  The best part about mowing is that it's only hot when you stop, you keep moving you get a breeze so you get done quicker, and you really appreciate that shower when you're finished!  And, you don't have to shovel it, either!  (If I had my druthers I'd rather go through a sun storm than a snow storm any day of the week; I did the latter for 46 years and it got really really old!).

19. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

But up here in the colder climate, we've had the hottest Summer for a long time.

70s in the mornings, and anywhere from 85 to 103 in the shade about every day for weeks & weeks.

Bear

20. dick foster

dick foster Smoking Fanatic

You must be up in the Sierra or something to be getting snow like that.

I'll be up in the Sierra next week for some off roading, camping and all that good stuff.

I'll be doing the Dusy Ershim trail which is East of Fresno in the Kings Canyon area. It starts at Courtright reservoir at just over 8000 feet then goes on up to 9 and 10 thousand for the rest of the 30 miles or so to Kaiser Pass. It's really very scenic with all kinds of high alpine lakes, granite domes and other good stuff to look at, some fishing to do and just moseying along taking it all in and having a few beers by the campfire at night with a few friends for company. After spending a couple of days at Courtright to acclimate, we plan on taking the rest of the week until the following Sunday for the rest of the trip that ends at Kaiser pass. Then air up the tires and drive home Sunday night. 

I'll smoke up some beef ribs tomorrow so my wife doesn't come down with smoked meat withdrawals while I'm gone. A rack of smoked beef ribs should tide her over. There a butcher shop in town that serves up smoked meat sandwiches if she can't make it though.