Its beef time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
Last weekend it was porky, this weekend its Moo-Moo. I really treasure the input from all you fine quers! Couple questions.
How important is it to age beef in the fridge. I have an 18 lb chuck in cryovac in my fridge, its been in there for two weeks at about 38-39 degrees. Alton Brown says to open stuff like that up and let it air dry/age for 3-4 days before the cooking/smoking. Any input? I do plan on cutting it in half, and trimming off a lil bit of a"skirt" or outer ring that is not very thick, for fear that that part will over cook. The roast itself is about 15 inches long x 11-12 inches wide, and about 5 inches thick.

I was also talking with my butcher the other day(I think we comunicate more often than my wife and I
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
), and they often sell whole rib eye bulk steak at 3.99 a lb. They come in packs of about 10-12 lb cuts. I read on another site about smoking these things whole,(to an internal of about 120-130 and then slicing steak sized slices, and then just slappin em on a hot grate on my side firebox for about 30-45 sec's a side.

anyone ever done anything like that. I would like to do that a couple times for practice, the price is right, especially when the rib eyes that are already cut and packaged go for 7-8 bucks a lb. Sounds like a cool way to have alot of steaks for the summer pool parties and such.

Ok I'm listening. Should I whack that cuck in have and trim tonight, so I can put it in "stinky" on sat.?
icon_neutral.gif

I can't speak for anyone else....but on the subjuct of aging beef in the fridge-- I have had a lot of luck making it a lot more fork freindly!...lamb and wild game also...

I don't typically age, well on purpose anyway. Especially for smoking. It won't hurt the meat, but honestly any tenderness you gain will be more apparent if you were grilling. As you are smoking low and slow, that puppy will fall apart at 190'ish or be tender slicing 175'ish, no matter WHAT you do to it. A nice ribeye or P'house i'm gonna slap on a 500° grill... a couple days is a good thing.

I was also talking with my butcher the other day(I think we comunicate more often than my wife and I
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
), and they often sell whole rib eye bulk steak at 3.99 a lb. They come in packs of about 10-12 lb cuts. I read on another site about smoking these things whole,(to an internal of about 120-130 and then slicing steak sized slices, and then just slappin em on a hot grate on my side firebox for about 30-45 sec's a side.

Dan, i have done the exact same thing with great result's.
What a great price, that would be awesome for the holiday's
biggrin.gif

I would not hessitate to age anything that was cryovaced for 14 to 18 days, steaks, roast, brisket. IMHO when you open it up, you better light the fire in about 24 hours. Don't trim on that chuck, just cook it!!!

its from a hardings store(national chain) and the butcher doesn't touch the meat, it is cryo'ed at the packing plant. All he does is weigh it and slap a price on it. If they are gonna cut up chuck, its what they get the meat from themselves.

Thanks for the input so far.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky