It Welds!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I went against all the recommendations and went a head and bought the 90amp Chicago flux core welder from H.F.  Here are some of the reasons that I decided to buy it. Number one was the price. It was during a 3 day sale, and I waited until the last day and paid $69.99. The second reason is that I needed a machine that would work on 110. I only had space in the panel for one more breaker to run a dedicated 20amp plug. Yes I would have preferred a 220 machine, but there's no room! Third I have zero welding experience, and I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I didn't know I would use all the time. So far I have welded a few items and I can say that I am happy with the welder and feel that for now it will do everything that I need it to do. I am using the stock tip and the wire that came with it. I did buy some Lincoln replacement tips and wire (as recommended by the Youtube welding gurus.) I will use the wire that came with it until it is gone. Even though it said it wouldn't work, I did weld some supports to my stainless grill for the UDS! Yesterday I welded up another charcoal basket for Mini-WSM #2. I have a lot to learn, but the pieces are stuck together! I found on the expended metal I was burning through. I turned the amp down to the min setting and that took care of that!

Here's a few shots of my crappy but working welds

Very cool! I am hoping to start welding this fall/winter when things quiet down a bit......
I have some artwork that the fianceé wants to weld up, for the new front yard, so I think this will do the job for me. My dad was a master welder, journeyman electrician and a rigger. I picked up his wood working skills and the electrical part, but never was interested in the welding when I was younger. Figured I'd give it a try. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos prior to purchasing this unit and that's where I learned. I looked into the welding program at our Community College, but its a full time gig and is not cheap! All in I have under $100 invested. The auto dim hood is awesome and would highly recommend one. I got mine on sale at H.F. too.

My FIL has worked in construction and on deisil trucks/tractors. He has acquired all kinds of tools. So I have access to welder, plasma cutter and many other tools. The plan is to make a couple smokers this fall/winter. I had a line on some tanks to get this summer, however I did not make the trip due to family health issues. So now I am needing to figure out what next. I need to get on it soon......... And to use his stuff and have his help all I need to do is cook him some Q..........sounds like a win for all........

I did find a score the other day hurried in the back of his shop. He something call a Shop All or something like that........it is like a transformer of wood working shop tools.......I may have to make some room for it and set it up........I love the smell of the woods when working with them to make things........

That is more than likely a Shopsmith Mark 5. An all in one woodworking tool. The smell of the wood when working it is one of my favorite things. That's what I really like about using the lathe and exotic woods. There are a few though that don't smell good.

as long as the welds hold, who cares about the rabid mud dobber look
biggrin.gif
  I also have that cheapie welder and it does a respectable job.  My only gripe is the spatter from the fluxed wire

I here ya on the spatter. For me it will always have to be flux wire as I have to weld outside.

I love my Lincoln pro mig welder which is 220v. Did a bunch of sheetmetal replace and repair on both vintage Mustangs.

Very fun tool to have in the shop

Tapayakin' from my iphone

Last edited:
We all have to start learning somewhere Case.... you took the leap... Show some more projects you decide to weld with it. cause I am looking to get something as well.. and like you, no room for anything bigger than 110. and it just so happened that you had a few baskets needing to weld... perfect!! 

:)

Yes that welder is OK for some things.  You do get a bit of splatter though.  I used it to weld my homemade diffuser plate for my smoker. 

Last edited:
I have the same welder. It is actually a decent machine. The wire feed adjustment is a bit finicky, but useable. The real problem is with the wire. I couldn't get a stable arc or decent weld at all when I first got it. Threw away the chineese wire and replaced with a spool of name brand flux core from home depot and it runs great. There are much better welders, but none have as much bang for your buck.

Yep I'd have to agree. For a hobby machine it works great. I'm going to dink around with the wire that came with it until its gone. I already bought a roll of Lincoln for when I run out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky