1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

It may be single digits out, but...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by opus, Dec 19, 2006.

1. opus

opus Fire Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

What time do we eat???

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Okay I want one. chicken, sausage .. oh heck I want it all AND the smokehouse... I'm hungry. Looks good Opus

4. opus

opus Fire Starter

.......and the goat/apple sausage was EXCELLENT! Will finish smoking the chickens, leg of goat, butter, cheese, garlic and almonds tomorrow.

5. opus

opus Fire Starter

Mmmmmm...day 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. opus

opus Fire Starter

What are your smoked almonds like? What is on them for spices. I cant eat them though. You'd end up doing mouth-to-mouth recreation on me.

Got the start of my new smokehouse today. Pics tomorrow. :)

7. opus

opus Fire Starter

8. opus

opus Fire Starter

As it stands this winter, I have an old farm disc sitting inside the house. I put my wood on it and light it up. Once its going good, I put a bottomless coffee can on it, around the wood. Then I put something on top of the can to sort of control the draft. There are holes on the bottom sides of the can as well. Its crude, and a pain to regulate. I am going to build a small wood stove, kinda like the size of a mailbox, this spring. I will be able to control the burn rate much better then.

What I am wanting to get at is a smokebox away from the house. Something I can really control better than what I have now. It works real well as it is, but requires a little more attention. I couldnt let it smoke overnight for it would go out. But when its cold, I just leave the meat in there anyways. Los of pluses living in cold country. ;)

I mainly use alder, sometimes I mix with apple. Dont care much for hickory, first because I'd have to buy it, second, it seems a strong bitter smoke.

The house doesnt get warm at all. I only cold smoke. I generally smoke meats for 1-2 days. I generally liquid brine my meats (not usually beef though) first. I dont do rubs, dont care for them that much. Once in a rare while I will rub some ribs, lightly. The sausages are ready to throw on the grill or fry pan, however you decide you like them.

9. cajun_1

cajun_1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wow that looks great...smokehouse too.