• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is this brisket too old?

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 2, 2009
A friend of mine gave me a frozen brisket to smoke tomorrow. I started to prep it tonight and saw that the packaging date was April, 2009. It was vacuum packed and appears OK with no freezer burn. What do you guys think? Should I toss it and go buy a fresh one?

shtrdave

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010
I would use it, if it were me. If no freezer burn, you should be okay, the worst that could be noticed is that some of the fat could have an off taste to it, but I doubt it if it is as you say just old.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
Absolutely smoke that puppy!  Should be a perfect candidate for the job!  Q-view, please!

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 28, 2010
The guidelines given by the USDA say if it was in a Deep Freeze (temp of 0) you can keep it almost indefinitely.

Good luck and post pics!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.