is there a way to save these ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loniblaze

Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I smoked ribs yesterday for the second time and it was a disaster. The first time they came out great. I guess it was beginners luck.  I put these (3 slabs of baby backs on at 5 and they weren't done by 11. So I took them off and called it a night. They seem like they may need another hour or so. Is there a way to save them? I was thinking of putting them in the oven with foil, but really want to finish them on the grill.

Thank you.

In the oven with foil is fine. Won't hurt them a bit. I'm assuming you took them off last night and put them in the fridge, right?

Thank you for the replies. I was trying to think of what was different this time than the last time. Now I see why my friend who is a smoke nut, keeps a record and log of what he did. The diffences this time were...

• smoked three racks of babies instead of 2
  • placed the water pan in the bottom part of the grill, not over the coals.
  • didn't let the ribs sit out at room temp before hand.
  • got different charcoal. the first time I had match light, this time I used kingsford competition brickettes.
  • I wrapped in foil for 45mins, last time was hour.
I noticed this charcoal lost temp faster than the other. It was probably my setup.

Last edited:
Loinblaze,,Hello. I'm so sorry your Ribs were not like you wanted
icon_cry.gif

Just practice my "Matra"   ,   Patience . . . and Diligence  :

Average Smoker Temp.= 225*F  , I left the lid shut for 5hr. ,looked for this     :

They are Spares , and IMHO are better and surely cheaper than B.B's .  It all takes practice , often , and easier than you think...
yahoo.gif

Have fun and . . .

>>placed the water pan in the bottom part of the grill, not over the coals.<<

May be the issue. I know with verticals, the water pan is between the heat source and meat. I would suggest trying it this way next time and record your results.

Old school, thank you. Those ribs look amazing! :drool

Flash, I think you might be right, I never had to refill the water pan, the first time I made ribs I had to refill the water pan a few times.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky