Is Pecan Wood good for Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waytoodeep03

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
I smoked a chicken saturday with some apple at 350. Although it was good the smoke flavor wasnt as strong as i liked. Apple was pretty light on the chicken.

Is Pecan stronger?

All i have used last 20 years.This year i am gonna try 3/4 pecan chunks and 1/4 red oak......I would recommend pecan on poultry...Pecan is a bit stronger then apple and not as strong as hickory from my experiences...Fine medium wood....Gives my birds a golden brown color...

is it ok to mix a little cherry with the pecan? or better to just use the pecan? I have some cherry chips that i'd like to use with my pecan logs..good combo?

IMHO, yes. I combine cherry with about everything else I burn, pecan, hickory, and mesquite, mostly. Never had any complaints.

Pecan is the BEST choice when it comes to turkey in my opinion. I used (mostly) pecan on last year's turkey smoke and I was very pleased with the result.

Tom

Absolutely!! Mixing woods is like , well, we won't go there on a family board, lol, by all means, experiment! Find what works well and then let us know!! :)

Never tried pecan on birds as for ribs
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. IMO It seems like it would go real well together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky