Is my price crazy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

niallam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Ireland
Ireland is country with no real access to propane tanks or large compressor tanks.
I've built 3 reverse flow smokers, well, got the metal fabricated and another chap to weld everything for me, 1 each for me and my brother and 1 for sale.
Am I looking a crazy price?
$2000 with shipping within 50 miles for free (we're a tiny country)
Used a lot of stainless for it and folds up for much easier storage, tray down and chimney off.
Actual cost of everything only leaves $300 for all my build troubles.

This is the only 1 for sale in the whole country, hard to believe I know :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13090843
Reverse Flow Smoker BBQ

Would you worry if the price was too high if you had the only Unicorn for sale in the country?
biggrin.gif
 Seems to me if you have the only smoker for sale you can ask and will eventually get anything you want for it! Ask $2500 and get something for your trouble...JJ

Wow that's unbelievable!

My guess is you could ask just about any price for it.

How thick is the steel?

With shipping I paid almost $1700 for a Lang about that size, & that's in the US where you can buy a smoker anywhere.

Al

How thick is the steel?

Firebox is 5mm and cylinder is 3mm
Drip tray is 3mm
Fire basket is 10mm woven stainless
Racks are 2mm fine stainless mesh
Chimney is 3mm stainless

I know thicker is better but the cost of everything in 5mm was way too much :)

Here's another ready for prep and spraying.
This one has another stainless tray that slots into the handle on the right and fits a 15mm thick chopping board.
There's still 40 hours prep and finishing from here on. Cement mixer wheels on this one are a fine job.

Last edited:
Thanks lads :)
Because we're not used to a real BBQ over here people don't realise what they're looking at.
Most that are getting into smoking use something like a WSM, Kamado Joe or BGE.
I'm getting ready for our only competition in the country next year so I'll probably have to wait till then to sell it but don't mind holding onto it.

Sounds like you have a niche market for bbq opportunities. Not familiar with your food sale laws but can you sell bbq without a buisness front? If they demand your product you can school them in the process along with explaining why your rigs do a better job than others. Many have started that way over here, just about every top comp winner has a commercial product on the market. Just look at some of the names on the top proven pits.

Thanks lads :)
Because we're not used to a real BBQ over here people don't realise what they're looking at.
Most that are getting into smoking use something like a WSM, Kamado Joe or BGE.
I'm getting ready for our only competition in the country next year so I'll probably have to wait till then to sell it but don't mind holding onto it.

Nial, you have hit the nail on the head, this is a growing market. People are not educated in your product or use for it. I think you may be the only member on here from Ireland, which tells you something.

You are pioneering this type of product, it's hard to say if there is. big enough market at this stage, have you though of doing demos to sell them?

Reactions: niallam
You are pioneering this type of product, it's hard to say if there is. big enough market at this stage, have you though of doing demos to sell them?

Only bad thing with a demo is we only have 1 Big Grill show on here every year, it's only in its 3rd year and this year it had 12 teams compete but what it's really about is restaurants cooking at it and selling massively overpriced food.
Of the 12 teams 1 used a reverse flow smoker where more smoke came out the door than the chimney, the rest used ceramic and WSM's

To give an idea of how uneducated people are in Ireland I actually got my first "offer" last night for..... €300 / $340......

Feeling your pain. I am building a Stumps Clone at the moment and know the amount of work and materials the go into a project.

How about a video and post it up on YouTube, and point people in that direction?

A video might actually be a great idea :)
A mix between short clips and pics and then finish with a few empty plates.

That's a nice looking smoker. 

If you can afford to hold it until after your competition, do so. Then when you win the competition you can sell it for double your asking price when everyone sees how well it works and the quality of meat it produces. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky