Is my 1050 going through lump too quickly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
FYI, this is my first time ever using lump.

Anyone able to comment on burn time with royal oak lump? I feel like I'm getting less than impressive burn time in my 1050, as I've done about 15-20 hours of cooks and I'm already almost done with my 30lb bag.

I do use about 2-3 layers of wood chunks, as well. I'll toss in about 1 large, baseball sized chunk and 2 smaller chunks/thick chips per layer.

I've maybe got a little more than a hopper's worth left of charcoal left to use, which last smoke was about 5-6 hours. Is this normal burn time?

Edit: After reading up, it seems I should be getting about 8 hours on a full hopper, temperature depending. Think I'll have to start logging temps used and time cooked, as well as not fill the hopper up all of the way, and try to fill it up as much as needed for each cook, from now on. It also says the hopper should hold 16lbs of charcoal, which should be half of the bag, so either I'm overestimating how much charcoal is left, or overestimating how much I've used, or underestimating how long I've cooked for, which again leads to me having to log temps and time.

Last edited:
I've never actually timed or monitored how long a bag will last but I feel like I get the best results with B&B Char Logs. They seem to burn longer, cleaner and low ash. But I will also use RO and B&B Lump, depending on what I can find. I usually forget to order the logs from ACE 😶
As you mentioned, it gets easier to guesstimate the amount needed for smaller cooks and only load what you need. A lot is wasted during the shut down and you can eliminate some of that. Just always keep a spare bag handy

The only B&B Charcoal product I know of sold in 30 lb. bags is the Char Logs. Where are you getting the 30 lb. bags of B&B Lump Charcoal?

My nearest Sam's Club abruptly stopped carrying Frontier Lump Charcoal in 30 lb. bags, and I like purchasing the 30 lb. Club sized bags of lump charcoal, so I'm interested in your source and price for the 30 lb. bags of B&B Lump Charcoal.

The only B&B Charcoal product I know of sold in 30 lb. bags is the Char Logs. Where are you getting the 30 lb. bags of B&B Lump Charcoal?

My nearest Sam's Club abruptly stopped carrying Frontier Lump Charcoal in 30 lb. bags, and I like purchasing the 30 lb. Club sized bags of lump charcoal, so I'm interested in your source and price for the 30 lb. bags of B&B Lump Charcoal.

Sorry, you're right. I got my brands completely mixed up. I meant to put Royal oak, not b&b. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Fixed now

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky