Is it safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

menk45

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 23, 2011
Jefferson City, MO
Yesterday I smoked a 10 lbs butt on my 18.5 WSM.  It stalled at 165 and took FOREVER to reach 195.

At 165 I had wrapped it in foil.

At 195 I pulled it out, wrapped in a  towel and put it in a cooler...with the intention of waiting about an hour and pulling it.

Well, it was getting kinda late and I fell asleep...woke up 5 hours later.

I figured I had just wasted 10 lbs of meat, but got up anyway to check on it.  The internal temp was 143.

I am going to pull it anyway, but will it still be safe to eat? 

Thanks guys.

You did un-intentionally what most of us do intentionally.   Nothing wrong with leaving in wrapped in foil for a couple of hours after reaching safe temps.  Bet it's one good tasting pork butt.

You did un-intentionally what most of us do intentionally.   Nothing wrong with leaving in wrapped in foil for a couple of hours after reaching safe temps.  Bet it's one good tasting pork butt.

yep what Al said... Dont forget the qveiw

Joe

Yep what the other 2 said. I have left them in the cooler longer then that and been just fine, I personally think it makes them juicer.

You're fine...Enjoy...JJ

icon_cool.gif

You are fine to eat this meat. Like Al has said we all have done it and some of us do it on purpose. You can smoke a butt or brisket and let it sit in the cooler till it reaches and 140° temp you are fine just no lower.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky