Is it necessary to brine a turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

melrod59

Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone,

I plan on smoking a fresh turkey on Thanksgiving day, then we're going out to visit family. I'm soking the turkey so that when we come home, we'll have food. I need to know if it's absolutely necessary to brine a turkey before it's smoked. Or is it possible to get a great smoked turkey by basting with a butter/rub solution and rubbing the breast of the the turkey under the skin.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Mel

You do not HAVE to brine. I like it and will do so every time I cook a turkey. You can get great results with basting like you said. Its all up to you and your tastes.

brining "cures" the turkey........so in smoking, this way, you don't have to worry bout the turkey being in the danger zone of 40-140 degrees for a longer period of time..........it also helps add moisture and flavor.........moist folks here, from the last few days of posts, are brining.....

hth

d88de

Having never brined a turkey myself, I think the safe answer is yes. Now, I'll also add that I've never smoked a turkey either. However I've cooked many in the oven and I smoke chicken all the time; both without brining. Just keep it lubed up, and you should be fine. I also found out in my recent "Turducken" clone experiment that bacon adds a tremendous amount of juice to the inside of a bird (does great on the flavor too). If you want more info on that front, take a look here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=10795

Adding to what Geek with Fire said....watching Food Channel and they did a turkey using thick cut bacon on the outside surrounding the breast. That looked interesting as well. I might try that this year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky