Is black mild steel food safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nwolfe88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Looking to have a friend cut me some tuning plates from black mild steel. Wanted to make sure this was safe to use for tuning plate material?

Thanks!

Most steel used in smokers are considered mild steel, so yes should not be a problem. Especially for tuning plates. Might need to burn it a few times as there might be oil on them.

I'm guessing u mean hot rolled with mill scale on it. I would rather use cold rolled but seen a guy use hot rolled on a cooking griddle and he said it works

Reactions: nwolfe88
Sometimes when steel is called "black" it has a lacquer coating on it. This applies to pipe and hardware for sure. I'm in the steel business and have not heard of it on sheet or plate so it could just be somebody calls it "black" because it looks dark but make sure it doesn't have a lacquer coating on it. That would take a few smokes to burn off and would probably affect the taste negatively.

Black could refer to mill scale or a pickled steel, neither of which you would want on your food. If it is just mill scale you could grind, sand then season like a cast iron. However I'm not sure if it would be considered food safe. If it is a pickled steel I would not use it, if there are any micro cracks in the steel it will absorb the pickling then leech into your food.

Black could refer to mill scale or a pickled steel, neither of which you would want on your food. If it is just mill scale you could grind, sand then season like a cast iron. However I'm not sure if it would be considered food safe. If it is a pickled steel I would not use it, if there are any micro cracks in the steel it will absorb the pickling then leech into your food.
All he said is that it's hot rolled plate...black mild steel.

"Black steel is created through a mill process which involves rolling the steel at a high temperature (typically at a temperature over 1700° F), which is above the steel’s recrystallization temperature. When steel is above the recrystallization temperature, it can be shaped and formed easily, and the steel can be made in much larger sizes. Black steel is typically cheaper than bright drawn steel due to the fact that it is often manufactured without any delays in the process, and therefore the reheating of the steel is not required (as it is with bright drawn). When the steel cools off it will shrink slightly thus giving less control on the size and shape of the finished product when compared to bright drawn."

Think im good?

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 192
Your good. I'd take a grinding wheel and take off the millscale. Wire wheel won't cut it.

Mill scale are the impurities that rise to the surface of the molten hot steel as it is rolled out and then allowed to cool. A sandblast, grinder or a very stiff wire wheel with some elbow grease can take it right off.

Mill scale are the impurities that rise to the surface of the molten hot steel as it is rolled out and then allowed to cool. A sandblast, grinder or a very stiff wire wheel with some elbow grease can take it right off.
So this for sure needs to be taken off?

So this for sure needs to be taken off?

I don't think so as it won't be in contact with the food. If in doubt as to whether there was any oil put on it to prevent rust in storage/shipment clean it with a good degreaser and you'l be fine. If it were a griddle top I'd say clean it to bright steel but not in your case. Or in the case of the tens of thousands of smokers built with hot rolled steel.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky