iphone or Blackberry?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hog warden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Lady I'm married to needs to upgrade an older cell phone for work. She is already on AT&T. Seems to have OK coverage in our area.

She says she mostly needs phone, text messages, email and Internet in that order. She has seen and handled the iphones, and thinks they are cool and all that, but isn't going to do anything with the apps.

What do you suggest and why?

i have a blackberry curve the 8330 model. love it, can do every thing she wants and more, great features and such, down side - trackball gets dirty and needs cleaned once in a while, easy to do. other wise great phone. my aunt and uncle have iphones cuase there mac nuts and think there the coolest thing ever, not bad but can only do one thing at a time so im told. open the web and close it before doin anything else and such. but personal preferance i guess. good luck

i would go with a blackberry or one of the samsung smartphones. i have a SamsungBlackjack II (ready for an upgrade myself) and it has worked great. i messed around with the iPhone and it' scoll, if you are ultra introverted or a teenage girl. get her a phone that does work, has the option to replace the battery, and can have the memory expanded (ie. a microSD or minSD card).

I have an iPhone and I love it. You may think you won't use the apps but once you start lookin at em... they are awesome. I have one called red laser that uses the camera to read any bar code and it gives me the best prices online and the best prices at the stores closest to me wherever I happen to be. It's really cool. If she likes the touch pad... the iPhone has the best I've ever used. She needs to go and spend some time with each phone and see which she likes best. I would highlly recommend finding an actual ATT store to do buisness with... not an authorized dealer. The service and phone warranty is different. I found out the hard way.

PS... I'm not ultra introverted and definitly not a teenage girl.

I love my Iphone. Got mine for $99 when I renewed my contract with AT&T it's not the 3GS just the 3G but it does everything I need it to and more. I said the same thing about the apps. Although I haven't downloaded a buch of them I have found several very hand ones. Fox Sports, ESPN, Big Oven, Zip Code finder(for my work) and a few others. The Google maps app comes already downloaded and is great.
If she gets the Iphone tell her to get the Otter Box Defender case with it right away. I have dropped mine down the stairs and out of my truck and not as much as a scratch on it.

Get the Crackberry if your staying with ATT. I would switch to Verizon and get the Droid which is hands down the best phone on the market IMO

We have had 4 blackberrys on our last hitch they kept having to replace them under warranty. We are down to one and wouldnt keep it but it is not up for renewal. They were pearls. Junk in my book,

We have replaced our personal phones with samsung smart phones, Eve I like them...

Get a Nexus One, the Google phone, that thing is so awesome and arrived the day after I ordered it. It may not have as many apps as the iPhone but I mean it's Google, everything they do is great!

Had multiple crackberry's and they are just that. After going for a swim with last one this past summer I kept having troubles with the new "curve" and took it back...decided to try the iphone and have no intention of going back. I do occasionally miss the keyboard...when I'm driving down the road ;) You get 30 days to try out any phone with att so...

I carry a Curve 8330 for work. It is good and bad. It has some quirks ( might be the way my company has it configured) and when I retire in March I was hoping to go with the iPhone but they renewed their exclusive agreement with ATT and I have no coverage with ATT where I live so I am stuck with Verizon. Tried the Droid for a day free but the phone itself was not so hot - hard to hear so am still on the fence and looking

BB Curve for about 2 years. Like it & does everything I need. Buddy just got a Droid.... I got phone envy now...
mad.gif

I have had two crackberry's. The first was the 8230 and it was ok for the short amount of time that I had it, but wanted to upgrade and my wife bought me the 8520 for Christmas. I have no complaints at all and I think that when I get back to the states I am probably going to stay with the crackberry unless something better comes along.

I love my iphone. Still the original. No problems at all. Would happily buy another when this one dies.

Blackberry seems a bit let intuitive to use, but a much better business prone. Iphone great to play around with.

I've had a Blackberry 8330 Curve since it came out and I really like it. Except for the web browser. I don't care what anyone says, the browser is not very good.

I also have an ipod touch. Which is basically an iphone without the phone stuff. It's so simple to use right out of the box. And like other's have said, the apps will get used eventually. There are some pretty cool ones out there and a ton for free.

My wife has the iphone. She loves it. I've played with it and I think it's a very nice, easy to use interface. I'm thinking of switching to the iphone when my contract expires.

A few things to consider...
1) The iphone will not play flash files. Nearly all websites these days contain lots of flash content.
2) Because of AT&T not keeping up with the technology, the iphone cannot recieve MMS messages. Meaning if somebody sends her a picture, video, or sound via text. She'll have to go to a website to look at it. My wife hates this. If I'm somewhere with the kids and I take a picture of the kids and send it to her, she can't open it. Apparently the iphone has the ability, but it's on AT&T's end.
3) The iphone is fairly bulky and has a glass face on it. I shove my Blackberry in my pocket with no problem, but with iphone is bigger and should be kept in a case of some sort.

I just asked my wife, "what do you not like about your iphone?" She said "nothing, I love it." Then she said "oh wait, I think it's annoying how it trys to fill in words for you while you're typing."

In review...I like my Blackberry Curve (full keyboard-avoid the Pearl without the full keyboard) but it's got a heck of a learning curve to it. The iphone is easy to use right out of the box but has some limitations. And it's an Apple, they play best with other Apple products.

My $0.02

On Edit: You say you have pretty good coverage in your area. Check to make sure you have 3G coverage (NOT JUST COVERAGE). Without the 3G both are slow clunky machines, if we didn't have 3G here, I'd 100% stick with my Blackberry.

I had a blackberry for almost 10 years. I changed to the IPhone and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. The IPhone does so much more and the internet is a whole lot better. I had a blackberry curve and a blackberry bold and neither compare to the iphone. Also, I can send and receive MMS messages on my IPhone. ATT came out with an update a few months ago that allow this.

I love my Blackberry, I have a curve 8330. I use it a lot as I am a Realtor and it has served me well. I think AT&T has them on sale too

Blackberry all the way... Get the 9700 that just came out, optical touch pad so there's no track ball to get dirty.

You can do the barcode scan/online price thing with "edocrab" (free) for blackberry, along with a lot of other stuff that iToys can do.

Yeah, you wont have an app to tell you the price of jelly beans in Zimbabwe or one that makes star trek noises, but it's a solid machine that has a lot more time in the field for what it's made for than the other one. ;)

I've got the iPhone, and love it. I have never owned any apple products, and frankly went to buy the blackberry. Started monkeying around with the iPhone, and thought i'd give it a whirl. No looking back, the thing is amazing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky