Intro To Smoking from Canada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jamieparisi

Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Hi All

I am new to the smoking world. I have purchased a Masterbuilt Electric smoker. This way I can learn before going to the charcoal. I have done a couple of briskets, ribs. and Today I am going to attempt a 18lb turkey.

Any Advice.

I am brining it then putting it in the smoker on Monday early morning.
Jamie

welcome to smf. 18lbs, be careful with that one. Birds that big make me nervous as they stay in the danger zone (40*-140*)too long. We like pictures, so lets see how that bird comes along with qview. You may want to check out the free 5 day ecourse, it has a good lil bit of info crammed in it.

18 lbs is a big bird for smoking, be carefull, and remember that low and slow does not help with poultry. cook it at around 325 to 350 so as to get it past the danger zone faster.

good luck and keep us posted

Welcome to SMF...and KEEP THOSE TEMPS UP! I know it's not popular as it makes for a strange looking bird...but I'd "spatchcock" that puppy... cut the spine out with shears and lay it flat. And of COURSE...you din't stuff it...right?

Enjoy..someone'll be around for help if ya need it I'm sure!

Welcome to SMF. Please heed the advice above. Poultry can be excellent as well as a bit scary at the same time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky