Insulated firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgunne

Original poster
Jul 25, 2015
If I decide to insulate my firebox, how beneficial is it to insulate the door and the bottom as well as the side that connects to the cook chamber? Im going back and forth whether to insulate or not. Does it help that much in East Texas in cooler weather or misty rain?

A little more info. The cook chamber will be 30" and it is roughly 1/2' pipe, not sure how long I will be making it yet as I'm still fleshing out ideas before I start plans or the build but roughly 5 feet or maybe 5.5 ft. I plan on this being a trailered smoker and building woodbox, ect around the pit. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

There is a benefit to insulation. The more pure energy you put to the meat, rather than radiated off the fire box, the less fuel used. This gets much more critical in cold Northern states. Obviously not a major worry for you unless smoking 12 months a year. Comes down to your skill level. The 4 main sides and door is a must, but I don't recall seeing the smoker side being insulated, could be wrong. I am thinking it would be a bit tricky but, wouldn't hurt having 99% of the heat going in the smoke chamber. If you can afford the extra cost, I would do it...JJ

I am insulating the rear and the bottom of mine, bag of insulation I bought has enough Batts to do several smokers so why not. One thing that I have discovered....if you push the FB into the CC, supposedly increases the efficiency, have to watch where you cut the CC door...

Thanks guys. Inkjunkie, what insulation are you using and where did you get it?

Also creates a new question. Supposing you insulate, what about the air inlet vents? Trim around them somehow I guess? What kind of vents are most friendly to this? Thanks again for all the info guys!

Also creates a new question. Supposing you insulate, what about the air inlet vents? Trim around them somehow I guess? What kind of vents are most friendly to this? Thanks again for all the info guys!
I will be using some square tubing. Mine is going in the door. Just make the cuts and weld it to both sides of the door.

Inkjunkie,

What type of insulation are you using and where did you get it?

No problem. You may want to check with any local insulation retailers. From what I understand there is some Rockwool available that is thinner. Local Home Depot said that the only way I could purchase it from them was if I was a Commercial customer, said something about that is the only way there supplier would allow me to sell it.
I did check with an insulation shop. They claimed to have some in there warehouse. But had one excuse after another..warehouse manager was at lunch all three times I stopped. Left contact info, never called me. 4 phone calls, never one return.

What about AC Duct for insulation. It is already flat and can be cut pretty easy. Would there be any issue with chemicals burning off into the food. I was thinking about something like this too and was going to sandwich the insulation between the sheet metal so it's not exposed to direct flame.

AC ducting is meant to insulate a normal household heat and air temps. Not 1200 or 2000 degrees like high temp thermal insulation. 

The mottos that I live my life by are:

Do it right the first time.

Buy once, cry once. 

Don't do things by half measures. 

I have been using fiberboard duct material on my GOSM for two years and it insulates very well. I covered the sides, back, and top. Didn't think it would be necessary on the door. It holds temps very well down to 5F........the lowest I have tried. Easy to cut with a knife and the matching aluminum tape makes for a neat installation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky