Instacure #1 for a Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ffmedic56

Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I have read on other sites that people are using a cure when they smoke thier fatties. Is this needed? I would think cooking at a temp of 275 it would not be a concern.

cure is not just for food safety, it is for texture, taste, and finished color.  I put cure in when I want that texture and sometimes I use it to get that dramatic red color in the product.

Last edited:
It is not needed when hot smoking unless you want to use it for those things Bbally suggested

I was making snack sticks one day and had a bit left over and made a burger, it was pretty darn good. Not that I would make them like that all the time. Give it a shot.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky