Injecting the Turkey while smoking?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by davenh, Mar 23, 2008.

1. davenh

davenh Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hi and Happy Easter,
    Has anyone tried injecting the turkey while smoking it. I was thinking some of the pan drippings and spices going back into the bird. Take some drippings after they cool a bit and re-inject?

I don't read much about re-injecting while cooking, bad thing?

2. i dont know if it is a bad thing but you would think if you poke it alot of the juices will run out imo

3. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Never tried it, but I agree, I think you would let more out punchin holes in while cookin. I always do my injecting before brining.

Guy might be able to save drippins from one smoke and inject for the next smoke, maybe freeze it like you do broth?

4. davenh

You guys are probably right about poking the extra holes after things seal up. I did add an additional injection of butter and broth before putting the turkeys in. I do like the idea about freezing the mixture for next time [​IMG]. The drippings are usually really good, nice and smoky flavored, bet they would be great as a part of the next injection marinade. Going to try it, save the mop/turkey drippings. Let it cool off, skim the fat and freeze it [​IMG].

I knew there would be some good ideas out here, even on the holiday! [​IMG]

5. brennan

brennan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

call me traditional but I prety much always make some gravy out of the drippins, nothin better than thickened turkey juices on turkey and taters!

6. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I must agree with brennen I make a killer turkey giblet gravy.

7. davenh

I love , and I mean LOVE a good gravy, but we are more into having sides like salad and other rabbit foo..oops..I meant healthy green veggies [​IMG]. A compromise which allows me to keep on enjoying smoked food [​IMG].