• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Injected Turkey

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
Decided on a 19 pound turkey today.  Tracey (Walle) and his family joined us in an early Labor Day cook out.  I injected the bird with Cajuninjector's Creole Butter.  I (sort of) spatchcocked the bird but didn't lay it flat so there's no backbone.  Used the Two Irish Fools So CA rub (sparingly). 

Out of the smoker.  Didn't get any pics of the carving as our hands were a little slippery. 

Also had to do some stuffed poblano peppers from Tracey's garden.  Stuffed with cheddar cheese and a combination of JD sausage, cream cheese and chipotle powder.  Good stuff!

Thanks for checking out my bird.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 21, 2009
Keith, thanks again for the invite - the turkey was one of the best I've ever had, and that mix you threw at those pob's was da bomb!

The bass fishing and beer drinking were right up there too!

Don't tell anyone about those twice baked potatoes either.... you'll have half the forum over for dinner!

walle

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 21, 2009
Had to pull up this post to see what you stuffed those pobs with... made me hungry for turkey again, so I'm bumping it!

mythmaster

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 24, 2010
Looks nice!

Thanks for reminding me that I want to do a turkey trial-run before T-Day (never done one in the smoker before).  I've been wanting to try Tip's Slaughterhouse recipes on one.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
That's a very nice bird Bassman
  I'm wondering about your temp and time on that golden nugget...........I'm kinda planning to have my build done by T-Day and planning to smoke some (national birds) for friends and family; My build isn't complete yet so i'm not sure how she's gonna cook, Im gonna try to get a few smokes under her belt by then, but instead of doing a trial and era on 12 turkeys your advice would be greatly appreciated!! You make it look soooooooooooooooo Good 

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
I usually run the temp at about 250 for the big birds.  This one at 19 pounds was quite a bit larger than I really like to smoke.  I prefer a 12-14 pound bird.  This one took about six hours with a 25 minute rest after smoking.  I normally don't care about the skin on these, but it came out nice and crispy.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for pulling this back up Tracey!

I missed it the first time around!

Nice Bird & Peppers Keith!

Real Nice,

Bear

PS: Where's the Bass pics?

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
Thanks for pulling this back up Tracey!

I missed it the first time around!

Nice Bird & Peppers Keith!

Real Nice,

Bear

PS: Where's the Bass pics?
I guess there are more walleye and stripers than there are bass, but you get the idea.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I guess there are more walleye and stripers than there are bass, but you get the idea.

Bunch of good eatin' there !

Pretty nice Bluegill too

You and Tracey must have had a blast!

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks