Injected Butt, & marinated spares with q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Getting some prep done for my all day pork, and football feast tomorrow. Picked up a slab of spares that weighed in just under 7#'s. Also grabbed a bone in butt that was just over 5 #'s.

Trimmed the spares, I saved the skirt for some future cooking, and I am going to do the tips tomorrow as a snack.

untrimmed:

trimmed:

I am going to inject the butt with the following marinade later this afternoon, and then rub the butt with mustard, and a rub then wrap, and refrigerate until tomorrow morning. I will apply another coat of the rub before putting the butt on the smoker. I am also going to toss the ribs, and tips in the leftover marinade I dont inject in the butt for a couple hours before applying the rub on them & smokign them.

I plan to use up the rest of my cherry, and oak for this smoke.

marinade recipe:
1 qt apple juice
3/4 cup O.J.
1/4 cup Lea and perrins
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Gonna serve the pork tomorrow for dinner on Hawaiin rolls, and topped with some cole slaw I am doing(bought the pre-shredded veg, but I am doing the slaw dressing from scratch, I will post a recipe of that later.)

more pics to follow as the prep, and cook goes on.

thanks for looking.

I just wish I was eating this pork today, and didnt have to wait til tomorrow.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I injected my last shoulder. Absolutely loved the outcome, and so did the family. Looking forward to your review of how this injection recipe works for you.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Used the same injection last weekend on (2) butts I did for a picnic, I didnt get to try much, but the little bit I did have was really good.

Hey Chisox,

Sounds like a great plan...the injected butt I had yesterday was really good. I think I will probably make this a standard practice...it was that good!

Thanks Rick. Just what I needed. Another excuse to cook a Brisket! lol (trust me I am full of them) Until last week, I had never injected anything other than poultry. First was a shoulder now on to beef.

I inject everthing I do but ribs. Just for a starter on Brisket I use canned beef broth as the carrier and season it with my rub. Man oh Man! I use apple juice as the carrier on everything else.

thanks folks,

got the injection marinade done, and in the fridge, gonna inject the butt around 5:00 to give it 12 hours.

Also made the dressing for tomorrows slaw to allow the flavors to meld:

1-1/4 cup mayo
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cajun seasoning

I heard about injecting a butt somewhere before and I recall it came out good and juicy. Today I saw benjamin inject a chuckie with honey and said it was really good. So get r done and we will for real if it's good or not and seeing ther shooter rick is injecting sounds like it should be a good thing.

butt is injected, rubbed with mustard, and rub, wrapped in plastic wrap, and ready to go tomorrow morning @ 6:00 a.m.

I will marinate the slab of spares in the injection marinade for maybe 2 hours, and get them on around 8:00 a.m.

Had a snack of the tips yesterday:

Injection Marinade ingredients:

marinade:

slaw dressing ingredients:

dressing:

slaw:

Pork Butt:

injecting:

rubbed:

after a night wrapped in the fridge, re rubbed:

5:00 a.m. on the smoker:

Marinated the spares for 2 hours in the injection marinade, then patted dry, and put on a light coating of rub

ribs in marinade:

rubbed:

7:00 a.m., on the smoker:

more photos to come later.

thanks for looking.

12:30 p.m. q-view:

finished spares, put some Open pit, and Hoisin on the ribs as they rested:

close up:

really nice spares for game 1, butt is about to be pulled foiled, and put in the cooler, temp @ 195.

5th butt I have ever done turned out the best yet. this was the second one I have injected the night before. This 5+ # bone in butt took 10 hours, then got wrapped in foil with some apple juice and honey, wrapped in a towel, and then tossed in a cooler for 3 hours. I am impressed by the bright red smoke ring myself. The taste was excellent. served on a hawaiin role with some bbq sauce, and the homemade salw on top. Also some of the last sweet corn for the season.

out of the cooler:

pulled:

sandwich:

thanks for lookign, a great weekend, nice brined chix, good spares, and top notch pulled pork imho.

thanks rick, got the butt out just as the rain started yesterday afternoon.

looking forward to a pulled pork sandwich for dinner, and spare rib fried rice tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky