info needed in belgium

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

treegje

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Belgium
I have a couple questions
Sunday I would like to do smoke beef ribs

first problem beef ribs are not eaten here in belgium
I have been to my butcher with a photograph,he can provide it me

second problem
because they would normal not be available
We never taste or seen beef ribs before,and never seen preparing
we are at any point in the dark
I'm not afraid of something new,but do not want to spoil

rub or marinade
icon_question.gif

water in the waterpan of my smoker or dry
icon_question.gif

what temperature to hold in the smoker
icon_question.gif

do I also do something like 3-2-1 methode
icon_question.gif

foil or not
icon_question.gif

go i for internal temp or time
icon_question.gif

sure what to do /and certainly not to do with beef ribs
icon_question.gif

any help is welcome,on the other side of the great ocean

Thanks in advance

I have done beef ribs several times using the 3 2 1 method.
Take off the membrane first. I use water in the pan. This link is for pork ribs but it works on Beef as well. Use a paper towel it makes it much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJ...1&feature=fvwp

I coat the rib with hotdog mustard or worchestershire sauce. I use jeffs rub and mop or spritz the ribs after 2 hours. The mop is apple juice and whiskey mixed about 1/2 and 1/2 . I add a bit of the mop liquid into the foil for moisture. Grand marinier and apple juice is also nice as a mop.
You can do the rub the night before but it is not really necessary.

I use 230f as the temperature and it takes 6 hours. Keep your smoke thin and blue for the entire time. I like hickory wood for beef ribs and even the stronger mesquite. I notice that The smoke coming out of the vent in your avatar is a bit too much. It should be just barely visible.

I smoke mine in the MES. Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.

They have always turned out really well.

PS We call beef ribs Dino ribs. (Dinosaur)

Its 3:30am here so you should be getting other replies to your post in about 2 or 3 hours when America wakes up.

When I do dino bones, I rub them with evoo, salt, cbp and garlic. They are smoked at 225-250 for about 5 hrs. I don't foil them. They are done when the rack bends in the middle when you pick it up with a pair of tongs and there's quite a bit of pullback of the meat.

Hi and congratulations on taking such a big step for you there!

Gnu and Irish gave you great advice, and understand that there are MANY good way's of doing ribs. Here's my opinion:

I do not marinade, but to like a light rub. Paprika, garlic powder, coarse ground black pepper, a pinch of allspice.

I do not use a water pan.

I do mine at 250 but be aware some temp fluctuatiuons are to be expected in a charcoal or wood burning unit like I have.

The 3-2-1 method makes some perfect ribs. My experience is that it should be closer to 2 1/2- 1 1/2 - 1/2 (when I do mine) BUT, if you are using an electic or gas unit and can remain at 225 with no fluctuations then 3-2-1 is what you need.

With the 3-2-1 method you do use foil. The first 3 hrs are naked, the middle time is in the foil, the end is naked again.

Go for time and VISUAL appearance. Ribs are too thin to properly temp. When the meat is pulling away from the tips of the bones about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then they are ready.

Do not put BBQ sauce on until the last 1/2 hour to 1 hr of cooking. The sugar will char and they will end up looking black and tasting a little burnt.

Do not try to rush them, but keep a close eye on them. Some cook up a lot faster than others...depends on the particular meat. If you put them on the grill cold straight from the fridge that will add some cooking time. I leave mine on the counter to warm up for about an hour before putting on the grill.

DO have a good time at your first try and be flexible with time etc. Just enjoy the experience, you will soon be doing them again!

Good luck and keep us posted!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I am with the no foil crowd. I use simple salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder. I use straight apple or orange juice as spritz, I cook at the 225 area until the meat is just starting to pull back and then I mop with a carolina style sauce for the last hour or until done. They are really popular with the family! Enjoy the smoke!

I do not foil,but thats me.I smoke at 250 degree 5-6 hours on average if they are larger beef ribs.

If you have 2 racks maybe try foiling one rack....

thanks
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I definitely keep you informed
I'm already looking forward to it,to taste and smell them
hopefully they come out good,I can experiment further
biggest problem for us is ,we can not compare it with anything
q view certainly follow
thanks

Then they will be the best ribs you have ever had! Good luck.

Just cook them at a low temperature until you can grab 2 bones and easily tear apart the meat between them. Anything else is just an enhancement.

I cannot add anything to what the others have told you (except to comment that reading the descriptions makes my mouth water. ;) ) I like to use a water pan because it makes temperature control easier. At 212° F the water starts to boil and keeps temperatures from getting too much higher

I suppose those who do not use water in the pan have gotten good enough at controlling to the desired temperature that they no longer need this crutch. I do.

best,
walt

Ok lets try this I have only smoked beef rib a couple of time but this is what I think.

rub or marinade
icon_question.gif
rub
water in the waterpan of my smoker or dry
icon_question.gif
water in the pan or sand if your smoker cannt hold temp.
what temperature to hold in the smoker
icon_question.gif
I would hold 240-250 or so
do I also do something like 3-2-1 methode
icon_question.gif
Yes I would use 3-2-1
foil or not
icon_question.gif
Yes foil after 165-170
go i for internal temp or time
icon_question.gif
That ones got me baffled I don't know
sure what to do /and certainly not to do with beef ribs
icon_question.gif
If you need any help just post question here there are always someone here.

internal temp or time. for ribs I go by time the first 3 hours at 230f will cook the meat , the next 2 in foil will tenderize it. and the last hour in the smoke again will firm it up to give it some pull.

Another method I have tried and really like is to smoke it the whole way at 210F. ( thats right 210F ) for about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. No mopping no turning and especially No peeking till at least 5 hours. but with this method you have to be careful not to over cook. Check it carefully for doneness near the end of the smoke.
It takes a bit more practice than the 3 2 1 . but in my opinion turns out a tastier product.

For a first time I'd definately go with the 3 2 1 .

Exactly what i was thinking!
Just follow what everyone told ya so far and they will be great. there's no one way to do them so do them the way ya like and enjoy.

thanks
you are my second family

I live in a grilling country,Smoking here is still in early stages
people grill only in the summer
Here and there you have one with an addiction
icon_smile.gif

that the complete year bbq, grill, smoke

Last winter I could not find charcoal,everything had been put away in the shops until the summer
Now I have my stock is stored
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

so there are a few pieces of meat that we do not know,and not eaten in belgium

among other beef ribs,which is also on my list is brisket and pulled pork
but that is for later

I'm sure I can speak for the rest and say we are happy to help.

Here in the Midwest US (Near Chicago) I think grilling is much more common than smoking. There are many more stores that carry grilling supplies than smoking supplies. I think we may not be that much different.

Perhaps availability of meat is better here, but we still may not find all cuts at the grocery. A meat market or butcher can supply the less popular cuts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky