Info an Plan for UDS self Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Desirio81

Original poster
Oct 28, 2020
Hi to all, I'm from Italy, I want to start an experience on UDS. There are some pdf or document to start the project with 55 gal drum with all the meausres and dimensions of holes to be drilled and the correct position?

There are many different types of UDS builds. They are all pretty much the same concept.

1) Controlled air intakes in the bottom of the barrel
2) fire basket in bottom
3) 2 racks positioned above fire basket.
4) Cover with controlled air outlets.

You can tailor these to your needs as far as rack spacing air intakes and exhaust schemes, etc.

There is no hard method to this.

A barrel smoker is one of the simplest kinds to build.

You will be fine as long as you follow reason and safe building methods.

JC :emoji_cat:

I have tried, but i haven't found any diagram with measure for the hole and the position of the racks.
No one have it?

One of the reasons you may not be finding exact dimensions is that most builders build their unit to suit them.

Your best bet is to figure out what you are going to be cooking in the unit. If you are going to be doing a lot of hanging meat then you would likely configure the barrel for that purpose. If you are doing mostly racks of ribs, you can get away with minimal cook rack spacing and may be able to have 3 cook racks in the cooker.

If I was building a UDS, I would likely position my top rack 8 inches below my lid and the second rack 7 inches below my first rack. This would allow me to cook pork shoulders on both racks.

I would then cut an appropriate sized hole in the bottom of the barrel, plumb and air intake tube to the barrel edge, and install a Hunsaker fire basket.

I would also add a smoke stack to the lid or maybe go with the Big Poppa design and vent the barrel out the sides on the barrel top lip. If I did that, I would likely lower my top rack.

Hope this helps.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky