• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Increasing heat for a gas grill

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
By the way would you disadvise me boring out the orifices greater than the 14%?

Last edited:

bill1

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 25, 2015
The orifice diameters do NOT scale with pressure drop!!!! As I said, use the chart, extrapolate for 6 vs 7 and that difference works out to an optimal size a couple mils (.001") large than you have. The drill that would enlarge your holes by that small an amount does not exist. SO DO NOT DRILL THEM. You could use a wooden toothpick I suppose. But it sounds like you've already decided on a new grill.
I can see the picture fine. I am "surprised" by the spacing of the holes, and hence the design of the burner, but given that, the flame height looks reasonable. And it could be an optical illusion thing, but the flame does not look fully developed circumstantially on the inner burner??? Like there's no blue flame in the front, away from the feed? If that is true, yes there is a gas problem.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Agree with getting a new grill at this point. Stay with a well known brand. Remember, you usually get what you pay for....

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
The orifice diameters do NOT scale with pressure drop!!!! As I said, use the chart, extrapolate for 6 vs 7 and that difference works out to an optimal size a couple mils (.001") large than you have. The drill that would enlarge your holes by that small an amount does not exist. SO DO NOT DRILL THEM. You could use a wooden toothpick I suppose. But it sounds like you've already decided on a new grill.
I can see the picture fine. I am "surprised" by the spacing of the holes, and hence the design of the burner, but given that, the flame height looks reasonable. And it could be an optical illusion thing, but the flame does not look fully developed circumstantially on the inner burner??? Like there's no blue flame in the front, away from the feed? If that is true, yes there is a gas problem.

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
I ran it again, after sun down and the burners generate the same flame. BUT!!! I just noticed an oddity with the control knob . The outer burner's flame rises and diminishes as you adjust the knob. As you'd expect. And incrementally from low to high. But the inside burner TURNS OFF completely at a certain point! And sometimes turns back on as you reverse the knob's direction. Sometimes, not. And remember, there's only one knob for both burners. I never noticed this because when I'm cooking the food and the grate obscure the burners. There's about a 50/50 chance I can re-light the inner burner by toggling the control knob. This is somewhat fixed by merely turning the unit to high and keeping it that way. Edit: Fuego’s reply to this says its normal, for this grill:

“Anywhere between the 3 o'clock position (off) and 12 o'clock position (high) should have both burners going with 12 o'clock being the strongest. Once you turn the control knob to over the the left side, 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock position would be just the outside burner (inner burner is off)". And my response to this feature - I'd love to meet the Einstein who designed it.

THANX EVERYONE. YOUR MISSION - TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM BLOWING THEMSELVES UP - WAS ACHIEVED. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

bill1

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 25, 2015
...But the inside burner TURNS OFF completely at a certain point! And sometimes turns back on as you reverse...
I had no idea this grill with two burners with two orifices only had a single control knob. When the inner burner goes off, but then comes back on, it's because the gas is building up until it "explodes" into lighting again. That is not all that safe. It could be that if you had 7 inchWC instead of 6 that "feature" may not be as prominent or gone completely. Still, commercial gas appliances should be designed to have a greater operating range than that!
I normally suggest to people on this forum to "use it up and wear it out"...heck, it's the way my Folks raised me. But this Fuego sounds like a poorly designed product to me. If you have the resources to replace it with a Weber or something reputable, that's certainly my suggestion.

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
Thinking the same. The 6 pressur
I had no idea this grill with two burners with two orifices only had a single control knob. When the inner burner goes off, but then comes back on, it's because the gas is building up until it "explodes" into lighting again. That is not all that safe. It could be that if you had 7 inchWC instead of 6 that "feature" may not be as prominent or gone completely. Still, commercial gas appliances should be designed to have a greater operating range than that!
I normally suggest to people on this forum to "use it up and wear it out"...heck, it's the way my Folks raised me. But this Fuego sounds like a poorly designed product to me. If you have the resources to replace it with a Weber or something reputable, that's certainly my suggestion.

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
Was thinking the same that the 6 is too low for burner 2 to be stable but I can avoid the problem by never allowing it to go off. Noting a little bit beyond 12:00 the knob turns it off. I could also make a “stop” to limit the knob’s range.

pmarc

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 25, 2021
Was thinking the same that the 6 is too low for burner 2 to be stable but I can avoid the problem by never allowing it to go off. Noting a little bit beyond 12:00 the knob turns it off. I could also make a “stop” to limit the knob’s range.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.