I'm struggling to figure out cure amounts. Can I just use 1/4 tsp per pound of jerky?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want to read the entire thread... where dward's quote was taken from... I don't do snippets... they can seem something they are not... "creative editing" ...

dward's post about nitrites and nitrates is EXCELLENT !!
He was NOT posting about nitrites and nitrates being harmful......

Kutas says, "Trichinae treatment is left up to the housewife"....
He then goes on to describe the 3 treatments established by the USDA...
I'm reading from Rytek's 1st. edition that I own...

If you have a question about dward's OPINION.... I'm not going there .....

Is this what you posted ???

dward51 was posting about nitrites and nitrates being harmful, but added the comment on the end of his post.

as it seems to contradict what I had previously read, I just wanted to get a clarification on worm mitigation

I took the word "worm" to mean trichinea and thus the response and quote from Rytek's book...
And dward's comment .. .....In fact, because of concerns about trichinosis from pork, it makes a lot more sense in my opinion to buy cured bacon and other pork products.....
The USDA treatment for "trich" is a fairly long involved process, which Rytek explains.. Fortunately, trich in USDA pork is "non-existant" so to speak...

So .... What did I completely misunderstand... and, let's not leave it be... I need to understand where I went wrong...

Waiting for your reply.....

Well, I guess my misunderstanding was "your lack of clarity", in your statements... (I'll pay more attention to how I word it.)

Why are you so bent on throwing dward under the bus for his opinion... The way he words stuff ???

In the US, we don't have a trich problem... That is not to say, "It has been eradicated"... It may return from lack of persistence by some farmers, but, as of recent times, trich has been "eradicated" (~2 cases/year) from the "commercially processed" food chain... probably not so from farm raised animals...

Trich in the USA...png

I feel I have done about all I can, on this subject, to address your concerns... I have run out of answers... I do my best to avoid "waffling non-answers"..... Dave

Perhaps, ( perhaps, is to indicate that something is possible, although you are not certain about it) the most useful tool on this forum is the "Ignore" selection... Some use it to avoid conflict on the forum...

I wasn't throwing dward under any bus

I was only seeking some clarity on why cured bacon would protect against trich.

opinions are fine, but it helps when we have guys like you who can refer us to the case studies etc.
like you often say on here, SMF supports SAFE and Proper meat processing.

For me, and for mine, it's a simple 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) level per pound of my chosen meat.
It's simple, and it slides right along with using standard kitchen measuring tools for the other spices and items being blended into the mix. (A tsp of this, a TBLS of that, a cup of this, or a 1/2 cup of that.....)
I was highly technical in my work, but for my Bar-B-Que, simple and easy does it.
So far, so good. Nobodies died yet. At least, not from anything traceable to me.... :rolleyes::eek::confused::D:p

Must have been a small bus as I never even noticed it..... :cool:

Never thought that closing comment in a series of long posts about cure would cause this confusion, but I guess it did for some. As to cured pork products and trichinosis...... Google it. Tons of scientific studies on the effects of cure in reducing/eliminating trichinosis (and freezing alone will not do it). Trich is so uncommon now days you don't hear much talk about it.

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky