I'm NEW. Would like some input.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

topfuel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Hello. Name is Tom. I live in Ft. Wayne, IN.  I am trying to research what the best option is to get into smoking.

I have friends who use everything from an Akorn to a side smoker kit on there Char-broil. I"ve watched and read about the Masterbuilt's and others in the electric category as well.  I'm thinking I want to buy an electric to start out with but they honestly seem a touch overpriced at 200+ dollars. 

I would like a little input on where is the best place to start with not only what to  buy, but where to buy it for the best value.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

T. D.

Hey Tom,

Welcome aboard.  There are plenty of folks here who have and like electric smokers.  I don't have any experience with electric but have several charcoal smokers including a Char Griller Akorn.

My opinion is that the Akorn is one of the best "bang for the buck" deals out there, due to it's ability to go from hot grill to low and slow indirect grilling / smoking.

Hopefully some of the electric folks will add their thoughts.

Happy shopping.

Reactions: topfuel
Welcome to the madness of smoking! Notice I didn't say BBQ? That's because you'll end up smoking a lot of things other than BBQ once the bug bites!

Smokers are a personal preference. I know folks that swear by stick burners, electrics, eggs, verticals, horizontals, etc.... I personally have 2 stick burners that are horizontal off sets, 1 BIG stick/coal vertical, and an electric. I use them all at some point or another, it depends on what I'm making at the time and how much I need to cook.

As for price, you'll get what you pay for most of the time. For electrics, Masterbuilt seems to be the front runner around here, and I have several friends that love them. They also turn out some great Q! They are a very versatile cooker and don't need much in the way of mods, etc.

All of my smokers are home built and cost more to make than a good off the shelf cooker would have cost me, but I've been smoking for many years and built them the way I wanted them.

Do mine cook better than the off the shelf cookers? Nope, it's just a personal preference.

I didn't answer your question did I? It's a tough question to answer honestly.

Let us know what you decide upon!

Your choice will also depend on how many people you will be cooking for... If you want something small and really easy to control.. I suggest a very simple/cheap build.. and that would be the mini WSM... i did a quick search for ya for mini builds... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Mini+WSM+builds

If you need to cook for a larger family and want something easy to control... that would be the 22.5" WSM ...

what ever you choose.. enjoy,, have fun... and welcome to your new addiction (the forums) ...

Your choice will also depend on how many people you will be cooking for... If you want something small and really easy to control.. I suggest a very simple/cheap build.. and that would be the mini WSM... i did a quick search for ya for mini builds... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Mini+WSM+builds

If you need to cook for a larger family and want something easy to control... that would be the 22.5" WSM ...

what ever you choose.. enjoy,, have fun... and welcome to your new addiction (the forums) ...
This is very good advice. The WSM are easy to get great results on with minimal effort and they make a size to fit your needs. Get a little experience with one and then branch out from there. I will guarantee that before it's over you'll own more than one type smoker.

Welcome.

Welcome from SC, Tom. Glad you're on the site. There are lots of folks who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep reading. As for a cooker, you have gotten some real good advice. There are plans on the site for building an ugly drum smoker (UDS). They are inexpensive to build and can turn out some excellent meat. The hard truth is, it ain't the cooker, it's the cook.

Get Jeff's book and his sauce and rub recipes and go for it.
Good luck and good smokin', Joe

Howdy, from Texas, Tom!

You are where I was about 4 years ago. I knew very very little about smoking and came here to learn. I've learned a good deal but have much much more to learn.

I'll share my experience and thought process. I wanted an offset smoker but soon learned that good ones were more expensive than my budget would allow. DW also advised me that I'm too old to sit up all night and feed a stick burner. I settled on the MasterBuilt 40 electric smoker. I added an AMNPS and went at it. I had some successes and some failures.

Shortly after breaking in the MES, I ran across a Weber kettle grill for cheap, the 22.5" one touch gold model. It was in perfect condition. The seller just decided to go to gas. I bought a stainless cooking grate and set about using it to grill on but soon learned that you can smoke on it, too. I have smoked ribs, brisket, boston butt and chicken on it.

Now, I still want a stick burner offset but won't get one unless I stumble over a really, really good deal that I just can't refuse.

So, just to give you some ideas to consider and to reflect on another man's journey into the thin blue smoke.

I'm leaning toward a MES and buying the amazetube. I was looking over the mini WSM and ill,have to look into them further. I've read many threads here already and I am curious to know how the MES does in the winter and what model is a must buy? Is the 2.5 that much better than the gen1? I know not to buy the one with the slanted drip tray? Any input? Also where is the cheapest place to purchase one?

Last edited:
texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a pretty nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Bearcarver just did a great review on the MES 2.5

Gary

Last edited:
How about smoking when the temps are below freezing ?? Yay or nay??

Ive heard of some folks wrapping their smoker in welding blankets to help with really cold temps and or wind.  My winter time smoking is done in a barn and so wind is not a problem.  I can see where extreme cold might slow a smoke down some but I can't say that I have noticed that.  Then again I have not smoked in temps below 40* or so.

i got my offset from acadamy they had alot of different kinds there i got the old country Pecos an love it

I'm gonna buy a MES. Now I'm trying to find the best deal. Any lears would be greatly appreciated. And or a link

Amazon rarely has the best price on anything. I meant like a slickdeals and similar site. Like a really good deal. Lol
If you're after a MES 40 BT 2.5 gen. I doubt you'll find anything near sams club $329 with the stand. I know it was the best deal I know it was the best deal I could find anywhere. It was like 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else and came with the stand which sells for like 50 bucks by itself.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky