Im gettin' ready to Smoke a Loin.

Discussion in 'Pork' started by dwayne, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dwayne

dwayne Fire Starter

I've heard from some ol'timers around here that rubbin' cheap yella mustard over the meat before adding your rub to hold the seasoning to the meat works great. Has anybody done this and if so did you like it or what works best.

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

well, if you heard it from the old timers........then why ask....... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] .........werks great...........tho, i turn loins into candian bacon............i rub boston butts...........

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Make it look like Joni's Mitchells' Taxi..and apply rub. Your money back if not satisfied:{)

4. walking dude

LOLOLOL........wonder if he will get it the reference rich..........

5. I slather ALL things pork in yellow mustard prior to applying my rub. Havent had an unsatisfied customer yet. Make sure to take some before, during, and after pics of your loin and post em.[​IMG]

6. navionjim

navionjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

As long as we're on the slathering subject, I'll mention the mayo on birds again. I use yellow mustard on all my pork (except bacon) sometimes but not always on beef. And mayo on poultry every time.
    Jimbo

7. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Adding the mustard does nothing more than help the rub adhere better, really adds nothing to the taste of the meat.

8. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I don't bother with it personally. Never had trouble with the rub sticking to the meat and if since it doesn't add flavor, I figure why bother with the extra step.

If you choose to do it and it gives you a product you are happier with than by all means do it.

With all this stuff, try things out and see what works best for you.

9. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Mayo on birds? That sounds interesting.

10. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Helps crisp up the skin [​IMG]

I use it on fish for frying all the time [​IMG][​IMG]

11. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I did recently did my first pork loin and coated it with yellow mustard before applying the rub. Never tasted the mustard when the meat was done and the rub adhered really well.

12. invader q

invader q Smoke Blower

I add a little beer, usually something not too light like Dos Equis or Killians Red to the mustard, with a little brown sugar, and a touch of cayanne or hot sauce. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I never have leftovers. [​IMG]

13. glued2it

glued2it Master of the Pit

Honestly I don't use the mustard on uncured pork, But It can be done with desired results.Give it a shot.

Some like it some don't! Do what works for you.

14. walking dude

i use mustard on ribs.........

15. dwayne

dwayne Fire Starter

The end results for our sunday dinner ! 1-Pork loin 2 Sausages 1-pork roast, Beans, Veggies all off the Smoker First smoke of the new year its been really cold here.

16. richtee

Nice quantitive analysis...qualitive?

<How was it?>

17. dwayne

dwayne Fire Starter

Worked out well Im guessing everybody knows when family see's or smells smoke they all show up and the word spreads fast still have plenty of left overs for lunch...

18. richtee

Sooo mustard rub good?

19. Looks great, must have been plenty smoky!!!

I see scented candles in 3 of your 7 pics.

Nice work, I hope you guys all enjoyed your dinner...[​IMG]

20. dwayne

dwayne Fire Starter

Thats a wife for ya'[​IMG]