Im gettin' ready to Smoke a Loin.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwayne

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Kansas City
I've heard from some ol'timers around here that rubbin' cheap yella mustard over the meat before adding your rub to hold the seasoning to the meat works great. Has anybody done this and if so did you like it or what works best.

well, if you heard it from the old timers........then why ask.......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
.........werks great...........tho, i turn loins into candian bacon............i rub boston butts...........

I slather ALL things pork in yellow mustard prior to applying my rub. Havent had an unsatisfied customer yet. Make sure to take some before, during, and after pics of your loin and post em.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

As long as we're on the slathering subject, I'll mention the mayo on birds again. I use yellow mustard on all my pork (except bacon) sometimes but not always on beef. And mayo on poultry every time.
Jimbo

I don't bother with it personally. Never had trouble with the rub sticking to the meat and if since it doesn't add flavor, I figure why bother with the extra step.

If you choose to do it and it gives you a product you are happier with than by all means do it.

With all this stuff, try things out and see what works best for you.

I did recently did my first pork loin and coated it with yellow mustard before applying the rub. Never tasted the mustard when the meat was done and the rub adhered really well.

I add a little beer, usually something not too light like Dos Equis or Killians Red to the mustard, with a little brown sugar, and a touch of cayanne or hot sauce. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I never have leftovers.
biggrin.gif

Honestly I don't use the mustard on uncured pork, But It can be done with desired results.Give it a shot.

Some like it some don't! Do what works for you.

The end results for our sunday dinner ! 1-Pork loin 2 Sausages 1-pork roast, Beans, Veggies all off the Smoker First smoke of the new year its been really cold here.

Worked out well Im guessing everybody knows when family see's or smells smoke they all show up and the word spreads fast still have plenty of left overs for lunch...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky