I'm a bit confused about brining

Discussion in 'Beef' started by scotty, Nov 19, 2007.

1. scotty

scotty Smoking Fanatic

We have just cut up a large brisket for making 2 pastramis and one corned beef
    http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/SMOKING FOOD/

The weights of the future 2 pastramis combined is 10 pounds give or take a small amount.

The weight of the future corned beef is 5 pounds give or take a bit.

I put the items in 2 separate containers because of the sizes of the glass.

The 2 that are going to be pastramis are in one and the corned beef in the other.

Now the larger glass accepted the 2 pastramis and one full gallon of brine which i mixed according to Debbie's recipe.

The confusion in my mind is about the amount of Prague powder for the 5 pound corned beef

It is clear in the instruction an my question is since i only needed 1/2 gallon of brine, should i have mixed a gallon batch with the amount of Prague powder for 5 pounds of meat then used only the amount of brine i needed
    OR mixed 1/2 gallon of brine with the amount of Prague powder recommended for 5 lbs of meat??

I hope i didn't make the question confusing also[​IMG]

2. nauidvr1

nauidvr1 Smoke Blower

Progue powder is measured by the pound of meat it is going to be curing. So I would make what ever amount of brine you need (1/2 gallon or 5 gallons) with the recommended amount of prague powder for the 5 lbs of meat.

Remember you have to expose the meat to the proper amount of curing powder, so making a 1 gallon batch and only using 1/2 gallon would then be exposing the meat to only half the proper amount of cure.