Idea's for pheasant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crewcab4x4

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Edison , OH
Yesterday when I was smoking St. louis ribs , chicken , and beans my buddy luke was over and he commented that he had 6 pheasants he said we could smoke . I told him whenever he wanted to bring em over. Just want some ideas on prep methods , rub , and wood types .

Thanks
Jason

Best for pheasant (also works great for grouse and partridge) I have found is to cut them in to thumb size chunks and marinade them overnight in you favorite marinate. Then before you are ready to smoke wrap them in bacon and slide a toothpick through the bacon and pheasant to hold together. Put them in the smoker like you would an ABT and smoke a 225º for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours with your favorite wood of choice, spritzing occasionally so they do not dry out. Makes an awesome appetizer that you will want to have more birds!!!

This is also good to make on the grill with kabobs..... venison and veggies are great with wild poultry on a kabob.....

I do 'em whole. Brine cured <T.Q.> half normal rate of cure in brine and adding:
Small amount brown sugar
Onion powder
rosemary
savory
celery powder

Brine for 6-8 hours, pat dry.

Rub birds with rendered bacon fat, and a light coat of your favorite rub or not. Smoke to desired limit and finish covered or wrapped in 250° oven till drumstick pulls off. Can be eaten hot or cold and delicious!

I soak them whole in apple juice over night. Quarter a apple and onion and shove inside then smoke with apple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky