Idea for a Charcoal Basket??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure this woud be a good choice as it's chromed. The high temps and chrome might give off some really bad chemical fumes. Better safe than sorry. If you can, go to home depot, get a 24 inch by 24 inch piece of expanded metal, measure 6 inches down, 6 six inches in from each corner then use a ruler to mark the 6 by 6 inch square from each corner. Cut the square from each corner, and fold up the sides. You'll end up with a 12x12x6 charcoal basket. Tie off the sides with a couple of rebar ties per side. It works well. If you dont have access to a metal cutter, take it to a machine shop, it wont be that expensive for a few straight cuts. Hope this helps.

try lowe's,home depot,walmart camping section, or bass pro shops- they all should carry the real thing. or just use a 3lb.coffee can & cut slits w/ a hack saw & bend the slits open w/ a pair of pliers.unlessyou just want bigger.

Funny you ask, i just made this the other nite!Building an offset smoker check the end of this thread for the charcoal box. The one your looking at would probably melt with a good load of charcoal
icon_cry.gif

I looked at one of those baskets at the local ACE and the chrome finish looked the same as the finish on the grill grates on the grills they had for sale.

Don't most backyard grills have grill grates that have a chrome or chrome like finish?

I wouldn't be too worried about the chrome.
They make small charcoal grill/smokers with chrome cooking racks and chrome coal racks.
I'd say give it a try.
Just my .02 worth.

I know on both of my other regular grills the cooking surfaces have a chrome finish so I'm gonna give a try.

If that doesn't work Dave, a piece of expanded metal from depot will be cheaper, a lil' cuttin and bending will get you a box that should last a long time, let me know how that works for ya
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky