ID Hickory and oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rio_grande

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
INDIANA
Man I am almost ashamed to admit this,,, I can Id hickory and oak when it is standing but once cut and split,,,,,,, I cant tell what is what,,,, I have looked online and havent had good results.... So can somebody school this old hillbilly in how to ID these woods by looking at the slits.

Splitting hickory and oak are completely different. Hickory just wants to shred apart real tough like, where oak will split more clean.

The center of hickory logs can get real red and white as it goes out to the bark. Oak is more uniform in color.

You can also SMELL the difference when either cutting the logs up for chunks (I use a chop saw for this, oak is real distinct in smell) or when just taking a match to a small splinter of the wood... you should be able to tell the unique smell of hickory that way.

I know what you mean tho, I tried looking the same question up on the internet about a month ago and got NOTHING informative.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky