Icepocalypse cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' Penguin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
If you hadn’t heard, Texas is closed due to weather. I planned ahead and smoked a batch of cheese today with oak pellets.

Another batch going tomorrow with hickory

And salmon on Tuesday

I would eat right away, but I’ve heard to wait 2 weeks for smoke to absorb into the cheese. Is that really necessary? 🤣

Attachments

• 5A7E5BF6-1DE4-4DDE-9864-C9C2F0E4D6ED.jpeg
    5A7E5BF6-1DE4-4DDE-9864-C9C2F0E4D6ED.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 63D74E41-E67C-48DA-BD51-DE3070C67611.jpeg
    63D74E41-E67C-48DA-BD51-DE3070C67611.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 31
  • 6DD4DF26-9A4D-441D-BCD3-9F0177572FFE.jpeg
    6DD4DF26-9A4D-441D-BCD3-9F0177572FFE.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 31
I like to wait 1 day..... And its so it can mellow some. I cant guarantee more then 1 day. lol

Nice batch of cheese! It's all up to your own personal tastes on when to dig into it. But also how long you smoked it, and what you used to smoke it with, also how clean of a smoke you had. Give it a day rest in fridge and give it a try. The outside will be smokier than the inside.

Ryan

Reactions: crazzycajun
I'm eating on 2019 and some early spring 2020 cheese right now. yours looks really good, love the color.

If I'm going to let it rest before eating - what's best process?

plastic wrap? Vacuum seal? store in "chef drawer" of the fridge?

I made a small test batch (about a pound) back in December....it didn't even last 2 weeks once I started eating it :D

If I'm going to let it rest before eating - what's best process?

plastic wrap? Vacuum seal? store in "chef drawer" of the fridge?

I made a small test batch (about a pound) back in December....it didn't even last 2 weeks once I started eating it :D

Best way to wrap the cheese after it has rested in the refrigerator for one day is to vacuum wrap and let the packages rest in the refrigerator for at least two weeks to a month.

Any more time after that would be a bonus and a benefit to you're taste buds.

I hope this helps,

John

It sure has some nice color!
I usually just let it dry in the fridge for 24 hours, and then vac pack it & it will last for a year or more in the fridge. If you have clean smoke you can eat it right away. I use my Lang & put the AMNPS in the fire box & by the time the smoke circulates to the cheese it’s real clean. So no waiting here, otherwise let it mellow in a vac pack for a couple of weeks after air drying it for 24 hours. The longer it ages the better it gets!
Al

Reactions: Smokin' Penguin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky