I won a 40" Masterbuilt Smoker on the John Boy & Billy Show!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the virginian

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Virginia..duh.
So I know some of you fine folks are in the South, and I'm sure some more of you have listened to John Boy & Billy...well, last week I won John Boy Jeopardy and then won the weekly grand prize, a 40" Masterbuilt electric digital smokehouse....so the dilemas begin.

Only last month did I get into smoking meat, so it's serendipitous that I won this thing on the radio. I had made a smoker out of my neighbors old gas grill box. I was doing charcoal. I love playing with fire (as I guess we all do) and there is something fun about spending your saturday this way.

All I wanted was a Brinkman vertical smoker, but was too cheap to buy it for $79 at the Home Depot...I have a 9 week old, all the $ is going there!

So, I won this monster smoker. Does anyone have any opinions on it? Yes yes, it's electric, not the type the purists use but I know you can turn out good meat in it. I don't know whether or not to sell it or keep it. It retails for about $420ish. I could always purchase the el cheapo smoker of my dreams if I sell this thing, but I wanted to collect the ideas of you seasoned individuals.

What do people think of this model?

This is my first post, so welcome..Thank you, thank you....

Congrats on such a great prize. I'd keep it for sure. You know, your now obligated to turn out some great smokes and take pics of them for us here
biggrin.gif
What a better way to join us at SMF than a good smoker to get you started.

I'll PM you my address. Send me the MES and I'll send you a gift card to Lowes for the ECB.
biggrin.gif

I love mine and have smoked just about evertthing on it.

I give it a 5 star rating.

Quite a prize there, congrats.

Don't listen to them! My deal is better! I'll send you that gift card so you can buy the ECB and a chimney starter!
icon_wink.gif
Congrats on a great prize! I have an electric smoker as well (not a MES) and love it!

So that's a $430 gift card, right? The chimney starter sounds like a good offer, but I have one of those I got for my trashpile smoker.

I'm pretty excited about it, and I hope to keep it. I'm strapped for room, so it will be interesting to store. I've been reading lots on it in the past few hours so we'll see.

Keep it-it was free! look at all us that have several smokers,the guy or gal that dies with the most WINS.and all I ever win on the radio is tickets to a concert I rather not see.

Being from the north I have no idea who these guys are but great score!

I'm more a purist so I would sell the unit and get a stick burner or something else along those lines. Just what I would do. I've read posts of many people on this board and a ton of them have MES and love it. If you kept it, as long as using an electric smoker didn't bother yoy, I don't think you can go to wrong.

Good luck either way.

It is a great smoker, I'm jealous, LOL,
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I would definitely keep it as you will love it's ease and convenience.

With a 9 wk old to take care of you wont have to spend all your time watching it like you would with a stick burner or charcoal...

Congrats to you! I have read several posts of folks that have both types of smoker (or more) unless you have a buyer already, there are times where one type works better (or more convenient) than another. Like my gas grill-I like it but sometimes i wish I could do charcoal. I have an original (this summer) MES and like it very much, especially the constant temp control. Also the tube on the side for adding the wood is an advantage over some other smokers.
good luck!

Store? What is this store thing you speak of, The MES will turn out such wonderful food that any Idea of storing it will fly out of the room.

It is a wonderful smoker, almost set it and forget it. Super easy to use and really even the 40" MES is really not all that big. You will be glad of the size when you really start into the hobby.

Forget all those false promises of gift certificates too. I will send to you a 20 pound box filled with an assortment of both fresh and dried road apples for your spring garden. I will even throw in a old Vancouver Canucks cancelled ticket I found under the bleachers. It will have amazing souvineer value in about 1000 years.

Certainly can't beat the price
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Use it till it quits and btw, you wouldn't be real happy with the Brinkmann Vertical. The mes is a much better unit.

the price sounds right, and you cant have too many smokers.

congrats on the win.

luckilly I have found a smoked food my wife loves, and I make it about every weekend... smoked chicken wings..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky