I will get it right someday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

az_redneck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2006
Casa Grande, AZ
OK..I'm new to smoking and I'm trying out different rubs and cooking techniques. Yesterday, for the Superbowl, I applewood smoked 2 racks of babybacks, 2 fatty's and some homemade polish sausage I made with Butcher & Packers fresh polish sausage seasoning. I used my GOSM gas smoker. Water in the pan and held temp at about 230'.

The results:

Fattys - 1 hot and 1 regular Jimmy Dean sausage rolls. I smoked for 3 hours. Flipped after 90 min. Got a good smoke ring on both rolls. Regular tasted like ground beef. Hot wasn't much better, but had more flavor. Not impressed (I'm putting on my flame suit now..lol)

Polish Sausage - Fantastic! A bit salty from the nitrites, but beat the store bought ones anyday. Nice crunchy skin from natural casings.

Babybacks - Used the rib rub recipe Jeff mentions in the free rub recipe section. I used Kosher salt rather than table salt. I didn't spray them while smoking and I think that's why they came off a bit dry (4 hours @ about 230') and VERY salty. I followed the recipe for the rub to a tee except for the kind of salt, but the recipe isn't specific either. I put a store bought sauce on top to try to kill the salt and it helped a bit, but not much. Next time I will spray with apple juice to lessen the salt flavor or add some brown sugar to the rub. They had GREAT color and a nice smoke ring though.

All in all it wasn't a total loss. Wife made some homemade macaroni salad and guacamole that was really good.. :lol:

All kidding aside, the polish were good and I'll crumble up the fattys and put them in a white gravy over biscuits. I might have to take a loss on the ribs though.

for fatties, i only buy jimmy dean sage. if i have to use a regular flavor jimmy dean roll, i put some rub on it.

This is probably why...

Because kosher salt grains are larger than regular table salt grains, when meats are coated in kosher salt the salt does not dissolve readily; the salt remains on the surface of the meat longer, allowing fluids to leach out of the meat.

Kosher salt can be used in nearly all applications, but it is not generally recommended for baking with recipes that use small amounts of liquid (wet ingredients). If there is not enough liquid, the kosher salt will not dissolve sufficiently, and this can result in small bits of salt in the resulting product. In certain applications this is undesirable.

There are only a few rubs, I use Kosher salt in. Most of mine use table salt or seasoned salt.

Redneck, keep after the fatties 'cause if you don't like them you are not a true American
wink.gif
. I always use rub on my fatties and pepper jack cheese in the middle and wrap w/bacon, also throw some bacon in the middle too. Someday I hope to make a fattie for bisquits & gravy, that sounds so gooooooooooooooooooood!

As for salt in the rub, Motley is more specific than I am. I use k. salt on brisket and other "thick" meats. On "thinner" meats (like ribs) I don't use any salt at all. I buy a rub that has no salt or I make my own.

I'd consider what you did a total win! Since you didn't like it, you now have to try again.

Redneck, I used a recipe for the free rub and wasn't happy either :( I went ahead and sprang for the cost of Jeff's rub and am real happy with it. I figure it is a good investment because if you buy store bought rubs they are expensive and don't go very far. Once you have this recipe you are set and it pays for itself quickly :D

Redneck -

Stick an apple corer in the middle of the sausage and pull a plug. Stick a hunk of cheese (I like cheddar or munster) in the whole and stuff the plug back in the holes. Yummmmmmmm

Hey AZ,

Whats the link to that rub you used on your ribs? Still trying to navigate the site.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky