I was going to do another Masterbuilt rant... then i ate some of this

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
it still sucks having to monitor your
IMG-3141.jpg
MES30 like an infant, but it does a decent job doing the part before the sear.
a sporadic tri-tip find in he meat store

sigh mine been working no issue for three years /shrug.. exactly the reason I don't bother reading the mbgf thread though.. 90% whining of stuff that's usually user error.

sigh mine been working no issue for three years /shrug.. exactly the reason I don't bother reading the mbgf thread though.. 90% whining of stuff that's usually user error.
Sounds like you got a great unit. I had an MES40 and I had to replace controller and thermometers at just over a year. They did that at no cost despite the fact it was out of warranty. The rep told me they were bound to replacing those parts free of charge for reasons she couldn’t discuss. I’d interpret that as court settlement.

Sounds like you got a great unit. I had an MES40 and I had to replace controller and thermometers at just over a year. They did that at no cost despite the fact it was out of warranty. The rep told me they were bound to replacing those parts free of charge for reasons she couldn’t discuss. I’d interpret that as court settlement.
sounds like you got lucky. I have one MES 30 that sh@t after about 3 smokes. of course back then i didnt smoke as much. it was the fancy new bluetooth model. I had extended warranty thru bass pro and they just mailed me a check for what i paid because they didn't want to "replace" it. Luckily the mes30 base model went on sale at HD soon after so i got it with ( they wouldn't offer ext. warranty. after about a year it started acting stupid. it was a controller issue.I learned if i removed the controller and put small blocks of wood under it to keep it off of "the heat" it would work when it wanted to. recently it has a mind of its own and leaves the element on when it pleases. last week i put a belly unit for bacon and took a "beer nap". it took of and the Mrs woke me up saying the readout was 300degrees. now if i want to use it. i have to"ride the board" and turn it off if it goes beserk.(Might as well use offset charcoal if i have to hover over it. . I tried to resurrect the other old one and it turns on and stays on now, however the internal temp is typically 25-30 degrees hotter than the readout on the controller.i used to love them for short cooks like bellies , two-tip and similar but now it's too much work and hovering over them.I'd love to find an electric that could do the 2-3 hour smokes unattended,and move these two pieces of scrap metal out to bulk. so there, I did the rant anyway. thanks for listening. seems like all appliances these these days are throw-aways..if i wan to do as 9-10 hour smoke like a butt or brisket I'll just use my kamado and deal with it. I also have a reverse flow stick burner that east wood ferociously and i'm getting to old and bitchy to feed it.(plus quality splits are right to find down here in S FL) not to mention storage .

Get an auber pid and rewire your mes, to get rid of their controls and you'll have a smoker you'll love and hold temps within a couple degrees of set point! Actually you'll have 2.

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Get an auber pid and rewire your mes, to get rid of their controls and you'll have a smoker you'll love and hold temps within a couple degrees of set point! Actually you'll have 2.

Ryan
I've read a little about that and considered, but since my stroke might be more investment/risk than reward. I'll probably just nurse the one through nd babysit it, and get used to the temperarture deviation on the other.

PID: set it and it gets done, it's that easy. You don't want to ruin a highly anticipate meal when the oem controller quit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky