I Tri-tip, because I don’t always want a whole brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BldEagle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 9, 2018
I actually did this a while ago but still wanted to share because it turned out so well.
2C04A324-13F0-40CD-B5C9-7809562AB8B6.jpeg
CE0F744A-D3D1-46C4-9F2B-C5449BDC8248.jpeg

I was at the store looking for something to smoke and saw this beautiful tri-tip, so I had to get it! There are a lot of things that I haven’t tried to smoke but really want to, and this was one of those cuts. This forum has really been an inspiration, and once I saw someone post about doing a tri-tip just like a brisket so I knew I had to buy it.

I like to keep things simple, so put on a quick rub, got the smoker going, and threw it in there. My plan was to smoke it around 225° until I got an IT of 190°. Unfortunately I rushed things a little and didn’t clean out my firebox prior, so a few hours into the smoke I started having airflow problems. I guess I needed to learn that lesson the hard way. So I did what any reasonable person would do in my situation, and threw it on the gas side of my grill and finished with indirect heat @ 240°.

FD35D96B-07F9-4419-92E7-DC0AC4BAB1FA.jpeg
461427A3-B228-48F7-BDC1-2A0B4723769D.jpeg

In the end, it took about 6 hours. 3 hours in the smoker and then 3 on the gas side. It was absolutely delicious! My wife generally complains when I do a brisket because of how big it is, she doesn’t like to eat the same thing all week. So this was the perfect size, and was even better. I’ll definitely do it again!

Thanks for posting. Tri Tips aren’t readily available yet in Iowa but I’ve heard they are starting to catch on here..... some day I’ll find one

Reactions: BldEagle
I've never taken a TT that far for IT before. It looks really good though, great job. I'll have to try that. Sometimes I find tri tips for under $3lb here in Oregon.

Try tip is quickly becoming one of my favorites to smoke up. I usually cook mine to 145.

I've marinated mine. But my next one I want to use a rub like you did. As mentioned your bark on that looks really nice. Wish I could try a slice.

That looks really good, TT's are hard to find around here, but I have always cooked them med/rare.
The next one I get my hands on I will give this a try!
Al

Man you guys are killing me with all these TT smokes. I can never find it here and on that rare occasion I do it's super expensive.

Point for sure.

Chris.

Looks really good. But is Fred Meyer a little confused with the tri-tip being labeled as seafood?
Hahah... They sure are a little confused, I hadn't noticed that. I was the least fishy tasting seafood I've ever had!

I've never taken a TT that far for IT before. It looks really good though, great job. I'll have to try that. Sometimes I find tri tips for under $3lb here in Oregon.
Thanks a lot J.P. Under $3/lb?! Man I am jealous of that! I thought I had a got a decent deal, but that would be great. At that price you could experiment all kinds of things. Try bringing the IT up sometime, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Try tip is quickly becoming one of my favorites to smoke up. I usually cook mine to 145.

I've marinated mine. But my next one I want to use a rub like you did. As mentioned your bark on that looks really nice. Wish I could try a slice.
Thanks Blazer! It sure didn't last long, maybe next time I'll do two and there will be a slice around for me to share with you. What kind of marinade do you normally use? I wouldn't mind giving that a try sometime.

I'm pretty sure I accidentally did the opposite of this tonight. I picked up a "tri tip" from the store. I noticed that it didn't have grains running in different directions, but I just assumed that it was a part of a tri tip. Did the reverse sear, got it to about 130 degrees and then sliced across the grain. After cutting and tasting it I believe that I bought a piece of a brisket flat that was mis labeled as tri tip. It was tough and nothing like the tri tips I have cooked before. Now I know you can cook a tri tip like a brisket, but cooking a piece of brisket like a tri tip is not advised.

Thanks Blazer! It sure didn't last long, maybe next time I'll do two and there will be a slice around for me to share with you. What kind of marinade do you normally use? I wouldn't mind giving that a try sometime.

I used a Cabernet Sauvignon marinade recipe I got from the kingsford site. Chris Lilly has some good recipes on there. While he did not create this recipe. He got permission to post it. Its an excellent marinade. Something you would get at a fancy resteraunt in Sonoma , if you ordered Try Tip I'm guessing.

Everyone I've shared it with tells me they really like it. Hope you give it a try soon. If so, let us know.

Last edited:
I used a Cabernet Sauvignon marinade recipe I got from the kingsford site. Chris Lilly has some good recipes on there. While he did not create this recipe. He got permission to post it. Its an excellent marinade. Something you would get at a fancy resteraunt in Sonoma , if you ordered Try Tip I'm guessing.

Everyone I've shared it with tells me they really like it. Hope you give it a try soon. If so, let us know.
Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try, sounds great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky