I smell like smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duck

Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
..so I must be in the right place!

Hiyas, newbie smoker with new equipment and lots of game seeks knowledgeable gurus for info on making delectable eats.

After many years of going to the freezer and asking the question: "How am I gonna cook this?", I have decided to broaden my culinary horizons to include the fine art of smoking. My best friend and I do a lot of hunting and fishing, so there is never a lack of what to put in the new smoker......it's the how! I'm thirtysomething and live in western Washington. The new family member is an Electric Masterbuilt from the brand new Cabelas down the road. As a seasoned (pun intended) hunter, I thought smoking would be some kind of primal, instinctive skill gained through osmosis of being near tasty creatures. Alas, just like a first-time parent, I stand here in awe of the new baby (named "The Vault of Delicious") and haven't the slightest clue what to do with it.

Okay. I sort of have a tiny clue, but it needs water and fertilizer though. Hopefully, that is where you all come in! I grabbed some pre-blended brine mix and soaked some Cornish game hens and a pheasant (yesterday) and I'm currently (yes, right now) taking the smoker for a ride, so to speak. I think I've lurked enough threads to figure out how to roughly make these remotely edible, but if I don't come back, you'll know I caught some nasty affliction from eating improperly prepared birds and their revenge will be complete.

I look forward to picking your brains for info on smoking duck, goose, turkey, venison, elk, bear, salmon and that annoying neighbor kid that keeps throwing the football in my back yard. Him or the football, whichever you think would taste better. Ok, no smoked kids. I'm kidding.

So a big howdy to all and I'm going back to opening the front door of the smoker every 15 minutes to see if they are done. (I'm kidding again)

-Lance

first off......welcome........

next.....make sure you sign up for Jeff's 5-day ecourse ........its free........

plus, it seems you mite of lurked here abit........good for you...........

others will be along to help..........i personally have no clue on the masterbuilts........i am a ecb man at the moment........but others will follow

once agin.......welcome

BUT.......we need.........WANT..........DEMAND......... q-view .........take LOTS of pics and share with us.......its a must.......no pics........the smokeing session didn't happen.......heheheheh

Welcome to SMF, Duck!! I also have an MES and have turned out some passable Q for family and friends thanks to the folks here. This is a great place to learn whatever you're looking for about smoking. The folks are friendly and helpful and always ready to answer questions. Make yourself at home. It sounds like you're gonna fit right in.
icon_smile.gif

also duck........

notice my sig........

wood smoke IS a cologne

there is even a THREAD on woodsmoke as a aphrodisiac.......hehehe

Welcome (quack) to the forum. You will like it here.

Usually the rule is you want to maintain a smoker temp of 225 - 250 but poultry is an exception where it is ok to go to 350 degrees.

Any specific questions just ask.

Well that has got to be the answer then! I knew my lab Sadie was licking my hand a few too many times for some reason...

Welcome Duck to smf the best smokin forum in the biz. You will be sure to get all the help ya ask for from all the wonderful people here.Keep comin back!!!!!

Welcome Lance, there is lots of knowledge here, relax, ask questions, have fun. People here are glad to share and help in any way they can.
icon_smile.gif

Welcome to SMF Lance. You have made the first step getting those hens to the table by entering here. As for smelling like smoke I fear that you are now branded and will be noticed in large crowds from the cloud of smoke
icon_razz.gif

You asked the question now sit back and reap the knowledge.

Welcome to SMF!!! There are a few of us here who use the MES, myself included. 275 is your max temp on the MES, which is still just fine for poultry. I did a Turkey in mine on t-day and it was just incredible. Get ready to be the most popular guy on your block. Where you from, BTW?

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that. RIP to the rescue!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If you didn't make sure you do before you put them birds in! Welcome to the SMF glad you found us.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Looks like there is a genuine close-knit community here and I'm excited to be here.

UPDATE: After the smoke had cleared (haha), the results are in.

The pheasant.

It wasn't enough that this poor rooster met his demise on Thanksgiving morning. No turkey for him. Yesterday, his pristine tasty carcass was absolutely desecrated by my utter noobishness in The Vault of Delicious. I learned a valuable lesson, however at the cost of a perfectly good bird. The Cornish game hens were done before the pheasant and were removed to meet their fate. After a full work day and enduring the heightened adrenaline levels of my foray into smoking, I was a little tired. You probably know where this is headed. I fell asleep. As soon as I opened my eyes 5 1/2 hours later, I felt the disturbance in force. I hoped the timer had done its job and the chilly Washington night air had done something besides making my windshield frosty. Unfortunately, this majestic pheasant can only be described as something between shoe and fossil. So skinless, lean bird needs some pre-planning to ensure some moisture is left over. Check.

The Cornish hens.

They couldn't have possibly been farther from the polar opposite of the pheasant. They turned out simply amazing. They were moist throughout and tasted incredible. I'm quite sure I [inadvertently] resembled someone in a Cornish game hen speed-eating competition. They were so good, I imagined the petrified rooster looking down upon me from above, offering a nod of acknowledgment. All was forgiven.

So my inaugural smoking session ended with slightly mixed results, but the positive far outweighed the negative. For the record, I used hickory chips, pre-blended brine mix, and the seasoning was very basic. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Johnny's Season Salt were it. The digital thermometer has been replaced with a more appropriate remote model, some generic job from the store. Thanks again for the welcome and sharing in my first smoking session that appears to be the beginning of a lifelong, smoky-sweet love affair with The Vault of Delicious.

-Lance

Better late than never with this, but welcome aboard Lance! You certainly have a way with words... great posts!

Don't worry about the sacrificial pheasant; we have all had a smoking faux pas or two. It only gets better from here!

BTW, next time that kid next door tosses his football into your yard, toss the sacrificial pheasant over the fence to him. And take a picture so we can see his reaction...
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky