I need to mod FrankenFridge from electric to propane

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by que-ball, May 28, 2009.

1. que-ball

que-ball Smoking Fanatic

I made an old fridge into a smoker a few years ago using electric hot plates for the power. I want to now convert it to propane. Can somebody recommend a good propane burner to use, suggestions on how to keep the burner lit, etc?

2. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Tim,

Im about to build one myself. What went wrong with the electric rigging?

3. countrysmoked

countrysmoked Smoke Blower

I had propane in my old fridge before I got the pellet feeder. Never could keep the temps right always got to hot. I added a heating element from an indoor grill (electric) It worked better than the propane burner and kept the temp better too I was going to put a thermostat on it but never got around to it before i got the pellet feeder. I would try to find a old propane grill for the controls and burner if your set on propane though. hope this helps.

4. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

5. que-ball

que-ball Smoking Fanatic

WaysideRanch--I bolted the fridge to a post in the ground to prevent the neighbor kids or our winter winds from tipping it over, and I need 125' of extension cord to use it. The original one burner hot plate with dial control didn't give off enough heat for finishing summer sausage when it's -20*F or so outside. The replacement for it has two bigger burners, but each has only an on/off switch and I have to control the heat with airflow. I used it with both burners last Sunday to smoke a couple fatties, and by the end the plug on the hot plate was showing signs of melting. I don't want to start any extra fires!