I need help with a good/affordable pepper grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
I hope this is in the right place on the board.....

I'm ready to toss my third pepper grinder, they work great for a few weeks and then I hardly get anything from them. I love the taste of fresh ground pepper but seems sooner or later I have to reach for the pepper shaker. As I said, the pepper grinder works great for a few weeks and then I can hardly get any pepper from it. I have tried cleaning them and dismantling them as much as I can and clean them, but I'm ready to toss my third one. Any help on a good one that doesn't break the bank or any tips that I'm missing on cleaning or adjusting them. Is there a good affordable one out there?

Thanks,
Alan

I'm in the same boat. I like it ground real coarse & haven't been able to find a grinder that will do that consistently.

So I ended up just buying coarse ground pepper form the SausageMaker.

Al

I bought a knurp on Amazon for like $12 to grind my
Spices.. not the best design but it is dependable and does a nice job.. I have had it for three years

Try one of these... OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill.  12 bucks on Amazon.  I'm on my second one.  The first lasted over 5 years.  Read the reviews.  I think you'll like it.

Wayne

I got one of these battery operated ones about 5 years ago as a gift. I absolutely LOVE it!
One handed use. Just turn it upside down and it starts to grind pepper out. It has an internal gravity switch.

Pepper doesn't spill out of the bottom like most all of them do

Batteries last a long time (I use rechargeables)

Doesn't clog or have to be cleaned out. I never have.

Excellent fine- to -coarse adjustment

The only CON I would have to say is I wish it could hold more peppercorns before having to reload. But that's ok, because it really is fast and easy to reload fresh peppercorns.

EDIT:

Correction… This one in the link above is a knock off. The one I have is made by Trudeau.

http://www.classickitchensupplies.com/trudeau-elite-graviti-pepper-mill/

This looks to be the latest model of the same unit:

Last edited:
Many years go my wife bought me an Atlas brass pepper mill.

It the real deal. Works great. I can fine grind or coarse grind. But it's spendy.

Another good choice is at a good price is a Peugeot Pepper Mill.

They are French. I've given them as gifts but I haven't used one.

They are high quality.

Unit 1 Chanhassen, MN 55317

Unicorn Magnum - comes in two sizes and you can also get it in white with ceramic grinder for salts.  Runs $36 for the standard size on Amazon.  It is probably the best out there and is consistently a #1 rated grinder at America's Test Kitchen & Cook's Illustrated.  I have been using the standard sized one for 2 years now.  I get my peppercorns at Savory Spice locally.

Last edited:
Unicorn Magnum - comes in two sizes and you can also get it in white with ceramic grinder for salts.  Runs $36 for the standard size on Amazon.  It is probably the best out there and is consistently a #1 rated grinder at America's Test Kitchen & Cook's Illustrated.  I have been using the standard sized one for 2 years now.  I get my peppercorns at Savory Spice locally.

Any pepper grinder that you can get a holster for gets my vote!!!!

A big thumbs up to ceramic salt grinders. It's the only way to go with salt.

Thank you very much for all the input and help, lots to look at and sounds like things will be better...... as far as fresh ground pepper.

Thanks again,
Alan

Try one of these... OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill.  12 bucks on Amazon.  I'm on my second one.  The first lasted over 5 years.  Read the reviews.  I think you'll like it.

Wayne

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Wayne, thanks for pointing me in this direction, just ordered one off Amazon. I like the design and particularly the adjustable grind from coarse to fine. But you're correct it was an easy choice after the reviews, over 1900 reviews and 73% five stars, 90% four stars are better. Although I will admit I didn't try to read 1900 reviews, lol

Thanks again to all,
Alan

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky