I need a rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cool85k5

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Georgia
I need a simple rub for my first atempt at smoking some ribs next weekend.By simple I mean,few ingredients,nothing realy hot or spicy,just something I can start with.I will be using the 3-2-1 method.Thanks for any information in advance!

Pick one!

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...BookofRubs.pdf

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Jerry
Check out the K.C. BBQ Society BBQ Rub on Debi's site.
I use a modified version and the Mrs. loves it. She likes a sweet taste with minimal bite.Here's my version:

2 C. sugar
3/8 C. paprika
3 tspn. chili powder
3/4 tspn. cayenne pepper
1/3 C. Morton's Tender Quick[1/2c. salt was too much
for our taste. try 1/4c. salt
if not using T.Q.]
3 tspn.black pepper
1 1/2 tspn. garlic powder

I have used rub on all kinds of meat,but on ribs I like to rub them down at least 12-24 hrs. prior to smoking. one time it was 3 days these turned out GREAT. Hope this helps Steve
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I posted a rub some time ago, got it from alton brown from "good eats" on foodtv, best stuff ever......just search for it.......I'm too lazy tonight to repost it....sorry....
icon_mrgreen.gif

Debi had that one on her link.Thank you all again for the help!I know about Jeff's rub being for sale,I just wanted to try this first.

this a good rub it's from peace,love,BBQ Mike Mills book
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Debi, the way I figure, if I post it on the internet then I'm giving free will to copy and keep......heck you know how many of your recipes I've already printed out in a little book?????
icon_eek.gif
biggrin.gif

here it is.....was not as lazy tonight!!

I posted this before, but I'll do it here because it's just easier then saying go here or there ;)

8 Tbs brown sugar
3 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp jalapeno powder (and you will most likely have to make this)
1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp rubbed thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder

for the jalapeno powder....slice jalapeno's in half, deseed and then place on a dehydrator at 140 until dry, then pulverise in a coffee grinder (or old time use motor and pedestal...mask required) into a powder. and yes, dehydrate....if you do it in the smoker it is chipotle not plain jalapeno and does have a big difference!!! Keep in mind to wash your hands well after dealing with the jalapenos otherwise you don't want to scratch an eye, pick your nose or god forbid hold something when you go pee unless you really enjoy fire hot pain!!!

Oh yeah I remember that post we talked about jale powder after. ave to add that to the ebook yours too short and ice. Everyone has there own tastes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky