I know low and slow is best but this is killin me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

belair427

Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Topeka, KS
Good evening all,
I have my second brisket in the last 24 hours in the smoker now. I started it at 5:30 am and it has been stuck, only moving from 161 to 164 since about 4:00 pm. Smoker temp is around 190 most of the day. I know about the plateau but is it normal to last this long? My plan was to foil at 170 and pull at 200. I am concerned it will be dry as I have only opened the lid twice for a peek and have not mopped or sprayed since I started it. The first one I tried the Smokieokie method and was not realy impressed other than it only took 9 hours at 225. What do you all think?
This is rather important as I have 4 more to complete by Friday night.

I smoke briskets at 225-250. That being said if you've had enough pull it now and foil it mopping well before sealing it up and throw it in the oven set at 250

You do know that if your smoker is running at 190, the meat aint ever gonna get to 200 right???? Unless your doing fish, jerky, sausage, or cheese, a smoker never needs to be any lower than 225, 215 absolute minimum. I run mine like piney for briskets and butts 225-250

belair..............you really need to smoke at 225-250........like was said earlier, meat will NEVER get higher than your smoker temps..........plus at 225-250, your stalls will be shorter, and your smoking time will be shorter......

PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
biggrin.gif
You the man, Capt Dan

btw........i am not mocking you or your smoking methods, but where did you get the idea that 190 was the temp to smoke at????

No offense taken. Never to old to learn.
I use a pellet smoker with a selector and set on smoke it runs at 190.
Please feel free to correct any time. Im a slow learner.

I smoke briskets at around 180 to 200 till the temp of the brisket hits 140 or 150. Then I bump the temp to between 220 and 240, and pull the meat at around 190 and plastic wrap it. I don't use foil because it will sometimes corrode or get eaten by some rub ingredients. Some kinda chemical reaction. I start low because I read somewhere that the meat only soaks up smoke and rub flavor util it hits 140 or 150. Give it more smoke flavor, the way I and everyone that has tried my smoking likes it.

Well, that's my 2 cents on this subject. Hope it helps you on your smoking endeavor. Did you say earlier that you had FIVE more after this one? If so, the meathod I mentioned above takes about 10 to 12 hours for a decent sized brisket (around 8 to 10 pounds). Anyway, good luck, hope they turn out good.

I am not familiar with your smoker or the size of it, but if you are doing them one at a time, you are gonna have to run it hotter and take em out and toss em in the oven.....what time do you need them by on friday? how many #s do you have to go...in how many hours and don't forget to add in the stall time....just my .02

VegansBEWARE;258129 said:
I smoke briskets at around 180 to 200 till the temp of the brisket hits 140 or 150. Then I bump the temp to between 220 and 240, and pull the meat at around 190 and plastic wrap it. I don't use foil because it will sometimes corrode or get eaten by some rub ingredients. Some kinda chemical reaction. I start low because I read somewhere that the meat only soaks up smoke and rub flavor util it hits 140 or 150. Give it more smoke flavor, the way I and everyone that has tried my smoking likes it.

quote]

That's a common misconception. The 140 temperature refers to the smoke ring formation which is believed to stop at 140. The meat will take on smoke flavor as long as you are burning wood and creating smoke.

There are no benefits to smoking that low as has been mentioned and plenty of reasons to smoke in the 225 - 250 temperature range as has also been mentioned.

Thanks for the input gals and guys. I put the last 2 on at
8:00 am today with the hope that they will be close when I get home tonight or shortly after. I now have 100# of pork and 40# of beef vacuum packed and frozen that I moved to fridge last night to start the thaw for Saturday afternnon. What do you think about the 2 I have in the smoker now, will thet be alright with simply referigerated until Saturday or should I go ahead and freeze partially tonight? We are going to boil to complete thaw Saturday morning and serve from roasters at the reception.

You could prolly get away wrapping and chilling to 40° or less. Hmmm stack them in between the frozen stuff... chill the fresh and warm the frozen!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky